Office marked as not Genuine RRS feed

• Question

• As with many others, I am receiving the message that in 8 days your microsoft office will marked as not genuine.  Below is the snippet of my code.  I see how you were able to read it for others.  I have a line in there that says "Office Status: 103 Blocked VLK" and I assume you will tell me this was for large organizations. 

I did in fact work for a very large international hi tech company (over 14000 employees), and they had a program where they sold this software to their employees for personal use.  It came fully wrapped, with licenses, holograms etc. 

I have since stopped working for that company.  Can that be the problem?  Is it possible that the license is only for employees - while they are actually working there?  And that the company provides microsoft with a list of licenses that should be blocked?  I am just guessing.  But if this is the case, this was never mentioned in the terms (that I noticed) when I bought it. 

My code is below.  Can you shed some light on why it is blocked?

Most importantly, what will happen in 8 days, when it is marked as not genuine?

TIA...

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):

-----------------------------------------

Windows Validation Data-->

Validation Status: Genuine

Validation Code: 0

Cached Online Validation Code: N/A, hr = 0xc004f012

Windows Product Key: *****-*****-27HYQ-XTKW2-WQD8Q

Windows Product Key Hash: U8YEZzymoD4DMyaMb32rPrNIS90=

Windows Product ID: 89578-OEM-7332157-00061

Windows Product ID Type: 2

Windows License Type: OEM SLP

Windows OS version: 6.0.6001.2.00010300.1.0.003

ID: {CAF197C2-8205-4CCF-9A0C-C75088B4533D}(3)

Is Admin: Yes

TestCab: 0x0

LegitcheckControl ActiveX: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium

Architecture: 0x00000000

Build lab: 6001.vistasp1_gdr.100218-0019

TTS Error:

Validation Diagnostic:

Resolution Status: N/A

Vista WgaER Data-->

ThreatID(s): N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Windows XP Notifications Data-->

Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

File Exists: No

Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->

Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Version: 2.0.48.0

OGAExec.exe Signed By: Microsoft

OGAAddin.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->

Office Status: 103 Blocked VLK

Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007 - 103 Blocked VLK

OGA Version: Registered, 2.0.48.0

Signed By: Microsoft

Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-364-80041010_025D1FF3-229-80041010_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-517-80040154_025D1FF3-237-80040154_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-244-80070002_025D1FF3-258-3

Browser Data-->

Proxy settings: N/A

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)

Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt

Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled

Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed

Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled

Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled

Active scripting: Allowed

Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{CAF197C2-8205-4CCF-9A0C-C75088B4533D}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0027.0</Version><OS>6.0.6001.2.00010300.1.0.003</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-WQD8Q</PKey><PID>89578-OEM-7332157-00061</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-2329732006-3850551952-3504894621</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Hewlett-Packard</Manufacturer><Model>HP G7000 Notebook PC</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Hewlett-Packard</Manufacturer><Version>F.22</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20071214000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>3C313507018400FA</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Jerusalem Standard Time(GMT+02:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM><OEMID>HPQOEM</OEMID><OEMTableID>SLIC-MPC</OEMTableID></OEM><GANotification><File Name="OGAAddin.dll" Version="2.0.48.0"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>103</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90120000-0011-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}"><LegitResult>103</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007</Name><Ver>12</Ver><Val>C0A25836FDBE5AC</Val><Hash>FmDbcrRY1pTOcrz4ZUZRHhpUuc0=</Hash><Pid>89409-726-2958074-65967</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="12" Result="103"/><App Id="16" Version="12" Result="103"/><App Id="18" Version="12" Result="103"/><App Id="19" Version="12" Result="103"/><App Id="1A" Version="12" Result="103"/><App Id="1B" Version="12" Result="103"/><App Id="44" Version="12" Result="103"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Spsys.log Content: 0x80070002

Licensing Data-->

Software licensing service version: 6.0.6001.18000

Name: Windows(TM) Vista, HomePremium edition

Description: Windows Operating System - Vista, OEM_SLP channel

Activation ID: bffdc375-bbd5-499d-8ef1-4f37b61c895f

Application ID: 55c92734-d682-4d71-983e-d6ec3f16059f

Extended PID: 89578-00146-321-500061-02-1033-6000.0000-1382009

Installation ID: 315911822150042532763862271211874950101265642666680803

Processor Certificate URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=43473

Machine Certificate URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=43474

Use License URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=43476

Product Key Certificate URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=43475

Partial Product Key: WQD8Q

License Status: Licensed

Windows Activation Technologies-->

N/A

HWID Data-->

HWID Hash Current: NAAAAAEAAwABAAIAAQABAAAAAgABAAEAJJSOu/RqfLYCckaDjDn8U8JQ8vSwQWrKrFYqhQ==

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->

N/A

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->

BIOS valid for OA 2.0: yes

Windows marker version: 0x20000

OEMID and OEMTableID Consistent: yes

BIOS Information:

ACPI Table Name           OEMID Value     OEMTableID Value

APIC                                    HPQOEM                             SLIC-MPC

FACP                                   HP                          SPARTAN

HPET                                    HPQOEM                             SLIC-MPC

BOOT                                  HPQOEM                             SLIC-MPC

MCFG                                 HPQOEM                             SLIC-MPC

ASF!                                     HPQOEM                             SLIC-MPC

SLIC                                      HPQOEM                             SLIC-MPC

SSDT                                    PmRef                  CpuPm

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 4:59 PM

Answers

• Hello yonads,

The Office installed on your HP computer is a Volume Licensing installation of Office Professional Plus 2007.  As you noted, it was installed with a product key that was once reserved for a larger corproate customer, but that product key is now blocked, possibly because the key was lost, stolen, compromised to the internet or because the Volume Licensing Agreement has expired.

Note further down in the report in the Other Data section, it shows that the Pid type is "14" which means volume licensing:  ><PidType>14</PidType></

The Home Use Program licenses that are purchased under the Home Use Program are always issued as retail licenses, which would have a Pid type value of "1".  Based on that info, we can safely say that the current installation of Office Pro Plus 2007 on your HP is not an HUP license.

If you have what you think are HUP installation materials, try uninstalling the nongenuine Office you have, restart twice, then install fresh from your materials.

At the end of the "countdown" period  your nongenuine installation of Office will be "marked as nongenuine."  That means you will see occasional "nags" that your Office is nongenuine, and there will be an additional Office ribbon menu item regarding nongenuine software and how to Get Genuine.  Office will not lose one bit of functionality, and no data will be frozen, altered, or lost in any way.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97

Thursday, May 6, 2010 2:09 AM

All replies

• Hello yonads,

The Office installed on your HP computer is a Volume Licensing installation of Office Professional Plus 2007.  As you noted, it was installed with a product key that was once reserved for a larger corproate customer, but that product key is now blocked, possibly because the key was lost, stolen, compromised to the internet or because the Volume Licensing Agreement has expired.

Note further down in the report in the Other Data section, it shows that the Pid type is "14" which means volume licensing:  ><PidType>14</PidType></

The Home Use Program licenses that are purchased under the Home Use Program are always issued as retail licenses, which would have a Pid type value of "1".  Based on that info, we can safely say that the current installation of Office Pro Plus 2007 on your HP is not an HUP license.

If you have what you think are HUP installation materials, try uninstalling the nongenuine Office you have, restart twice, then install fresh from your materials.

At the end of the "countdown" period  your nongenuine installation of Office will be "marked as nongenuine."  That means you will see occasional "nags" that your Office is nongenuine, and there will be an additional Office ribbon menu item regarding nongenuine software and how to Get Genuine.  Office will not lose one bit of functionality, and no data will be frozen, altered, or lost in any way.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97

Thursday, May 6, 2010 2:09 AM
  • Hi Dan,

Thanks for your answer.

What I don't understand is the difference between a volume licenssing installation and a HUP.  All I know is that I bought this software via a very reputable channel - a software company that partners with Microsoft - and it is hard to imagine they sold us the wrong, or invalid licenses.

Why would the key get blocked?  What does it mean that it was possibly lost. stolen, etc...... 

I don't understand how the vendor - microsoft - can just decide to block what was once a valid key? I understand their need to protect their IP, but can they just unilaterlly do this to people?  I am not tech-savvy and I don't want to start uninsallling and re-installing such critical software - nor do I understand why I should have too.  Can you explain this in layman's terms? 

Is there an appeal process or something where I can ask microsoft to "unblock" my key somehow or some other solution that will not cause heartache?

If there were a choice, I would not purchase software from microsoft again in the future if this is how they treat people.  They may be protecting themselves now in the short term, but harming their long term interests.......

Thursday, May 6, 2010 6:14 AM
  • Hello yonads,

Volume licensing licenses Microsoft software product to an organization that has a requirement for a larger number of installations, usually larger businesses, educational institutions, goverment agencies, and the like.  For application licensing like Office volume licensing, it becomes cost effective to buy a volume license rather than individually packaged software when an organization needs, say, 10-15 or more installations.

Think of the difference between volume licensing and retail/oem licensing like the difference between renting/leasing and owning something, like a house, car, etc.  A volume license is like a rental or lease in the sense that it is subject to terms and conditions that can terminate under some conditions---like if the Volume Licensing Agreement is for a certain time period, when that time expires, the key is blocked; or if the VLA is for 25 installations and Microsoft's activation servers are seeing 250 installations being done.  On the other hand, retail and oem licenses are called perpetual licenses because they do not expire or run out.  Once a retail or oem license is purchased, it is permanent.

The software that's coming up nongenuine---is that something you bought personally, or is that something that your company bought from a software vendor?  How many computers have had this software installed?  Sometimes in an organization where there are genuine volume licensing installations, inadvertently one of those genuine licenses can get overwritten by nongenuine software if users have administrative privileges on the computer and they are installing software on their computers without the close supervision of company IT staff.  It's important to ascertain whether just one computer is reporting nongenuine, or if all computers are reporting nongenuine, when the Validate Office button is clicked at www.microsoft.com/genuine.

Could you look at your purchased materials and tell us whether the packaging and discs have Office Professional 2007 or Office Professional Plus 2007 printed on the packaging, the Certificate of Authenticity (CoA), and the installation disc(s) [but don't post the product key]?  Could you tell us the circumstances of the purchase? 

Friday, May 7, 2010 1:02 AM
  • "yonads" wrote in message news:af5bcd38-faf7-46c5-81ea-cf569536aa99...
    Hi Dan,
    Thanks for your answer.
    What I don't understand is the difference between a volume licenssing
    installation and a HUP. All I know is that I bought this software via a
    very reputable channel - a software company that partners with Microsoft -
    and it is hard to imagine they sold us the wrong, or invalid licenses.
    Why would the key get blocked? What does it mean that it was possibly lost.
    stolen, etc......
    I don't understand how the vendor - microsoft - can just decide to block
    what was once a valid key? I understand their need to protect their IP, but
    can they just unilaterlly do this to people? I am not tech-savvy and I
    don't want to start uninsallling and re-installing such critical software -
    nor do I understand why I should have too. Can you explain this in layman's
    terms?
    Is there an appeal process or something where I can ask microsoft to
    "unblock" my key somehow or some other solution that will not cause
    heartache?
    If there were a choice, I would not purchase software from microsoft again
    in the future if this is how they treat people. They may be protecting
    themselves now in the short term, but harming their long term
    interests.......

Moot point anyhow. From Microsoft Home use rights web site:

What if an employee leaves the company or is terminated?
    The temporary license offered through the Home Use Program for Microsoft
    Office programs is valid as long as the employee is employed by your company
    and your company maintains its Software Assurance coverage with Microsoft.
    If an employee leaves the company or is terminated, he or she should
    discontinue use of the software because the license to use it ends when
    employment ends. Microsoft requires that Volume Licensing customers limit
    Home Use Program access to eligible employees and that they inform employees
    when they should discontinue use of the Home Use Program software.

Will we still have licensing rights to software acquired through the Home
    Use Program after our Software Assurance coverage expires?
    No. If you do not renew your license agreement and extend your Software
    Assurance coverage, you lose licensing rights to software acquired through
    the Home Use Program.

Read more here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/software-assurance/faq.aspx

Saturday, May 8, 2010 11:26 PM