New hardware and activation issues RRS feed

• Question

• I think the heading says it all. I've recently upgraded my

• cpu from a single core AMD 3800+ to a dual core X2 4200+,
    • Installed a new 320gb hard drive (but have kept the original 250gb one with windows Vista on it)

Now I have 3 days to activate my copy of windows Vista again, but when I enter my OEM code from the supplied CD, it says that that code has already been activated and that I need to buy a new code.

I dont understand why, as I purchased my windows Vista from Microsoft on 4 months ago.

How do I recify this, I cant afford to have my computer out of action in 3 days time!

Cheers

Tnate

mailto:tomnathan@hotmail.com

Saturday, August 11, 2007 1:43 AM

Answers

• You can get started with phone activation by typing "slui.exe 4"
    (w/o the quotes) in the Start Search box in the Start Menu and pressing
    Enter.
    The phone activation process takes about 6 minutes.

Sunday, August 19, 2007 10:17 PM

All replies

• Tnate,

Your OEM license for Vista is valid ONLY on the computer (motherbaord) onto which it was first installed and is not permitted to be moved to any other computer.

You must purchase a NEW license for XP and install it.

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 2:27 AM
  • Not quite.  The user has only installed it on his one computer, since he bought his hardware, he is entitled to modify his computer hardware as he sees fit.  This does not affect the Licesnese Agreement in anyway.  (he also stated that he never changed his motherboard)

To reactivate, simply do activate by telephone and explain your situation to the Microsoft rep (not sure why, but the automated thing never works).
    Sunday, August 19, 2007 7:48 PM
  • You can get started with phone activation by typing "slui.exe 4"
    (w/o the quotes) in the Start Search box in the Start Menu and pressing
    Enter.
    The phone activation process takes about 6 minutes.

Sunday, August 19, 2007 10:17 PM
  • Neo7,

The Original Poster did NOT state that "he never changed his motherboard."  The OP said nothing about his motherboard.

My comment was based on the fact that going from a Socket A (aka Socket 462) processor, Athlon 3800+, to a Socket 939 or Socket AM2 Athlon 64 x2, would require a change in motherboard.  Since such change was made for performance enhancement reasons, the change is not covered under the defective motherboard exemption that applies to OEM installations of Windows, which he said he had.

Contrary to what you posted, the OEM License Agreement is very much affected by hardware changes.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 3:56 PM
  • Dan,

I am not taking sides, because both of your views have been invaluable, but Neo was right...
    I haven't changed the motherboard, as both the CPUs were of the AMD 939 pin config, so it was simply a quick chip swap procedure.

For future reference, I tried the "SLUI.EXE 4", phoned a f#*!ing Indian call centre for half an hour, but eventually got a new code to activate my computer.

I cant believe that everytime I feel like upgrading my com, I have to call a bloody call centre.

Thanks for the help Dan and Neo
    Tnate
    Wednesday, August 22, 2007 8:34 AM
  • Call the microsoft support # and they will help you.  Same thing happened to me and they need to step you through a new activation code process.  There is no way to do this on your own.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 12:35 PM