The Key is already in Use?? RRS feed

• Question

• OK, So I build this shiney new machine... Asus Update decides to smoke my BIOS with a BAD flash (their forums are riddled with it)... I get that all RMA'd and now my VISTA is saying that my key is already in Use.
    Same processors... memory, drives.... just a new MB
    I Know its a good copy as I Bought it from Newegg and had it installed before. even if it is OEM...

I have tried the Online Chat/Email help... but they want a valid Key or $60 to help me...
    I have tried the Phone support and Burnt 3 MWR Calls trying to do so (I am stationed in Kuwait).

Is there an office here in Kuwait I can call Local?
    I REALLY Cannot afford another copy of Vista Ultimate. But because of the machine thats what I have to run.
    Tuesday, December 11, 2007 6:00 PM

Answers

• Hi Warhorse67,

To Re-Activate your Vista, after replacing your motherboard, you will need to use the Activate by Phone method (see steps below).

As for a Activation office in Kuwait, I do find that we have a listing for Kuwait in the Phone Activation wizard, but no toll free number is given. The toll number for the Kuwait Activation office is 965 243 1071

Activate by Phone steps:

a) If you have access to the Start button: Click the Start button, and type in "slui.exe 4" in the search field and then press the "Enter" key. This will bring up the Activate by Phone dialog window. Follow the steps provided by the window. The phone activation process should only take about 6 minutes.

b) If you do not have access to the Start button: Reboot and login to Vista, a dialog window will come up. In that window, click the option "Access computer with reduced functionality". Once you do that, Internet Explorer or Firefox browser will open. In the address bar type "c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe" press enter, a new window will come up, type: slui 4 and hit enterand follow steps to Activate over the Phone.

NOTE: The key to this process is that you need to talk to a Live Activation Rep! When you first call, you will be interacting with an Automated Voice, either select the option to talk to a Live Rep or if there is no option, do not enter any numbers. This should force the automated voice to tansfer you to a Live Rep.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 8:14 PM

All replies

• Hi Warhorse67,

To Re-Activate your Vista, after replacing your motherboard, you will need to use the Activate by Phone method (see steps below).

As for a Activation office in Kuwait, I do find that we have a listing for Kuwait in the Phone Activation wizard, but no toll free number is given. The toll number for the Kuwait Activation office is 965 243 1071

Activate by Phone steps:

a) If you have access to the Start button: Click the Start button, and type in "slui.exe 4" in the search field and then press the "Enter" key. This will bring up the Activate by Phone dialog window. Follow the steps provided by the window. The phone activation process should only take about 6 minutes.

b) If you do not have access to the Start button: Reboot and login to Vista, a dialog window will come up. In that window, click the option "Access computer with reduced functionality". Once you do that, Internet Explorer or Firefox browser will open. In the address bar type "c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe" press enter, a new window will come up, type: slui 4 and hit enterand follow steps to Activate over the Phone.

NOTE: The key to this process is that you need to talk to a Live Activation Rep! When you first call, you will be interacting with an Automated Voice, either select the option to talk to a Live Rep or if there is no option, do not enter any numbers. This should force the automated voice to tansfer you to a Live Rep.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 8:14 PM
  • Thank you Darin,
    Its not a fix for all of the issues with Vista.. but at least its an avenue of assistance.

You are appreciated.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 12:34 AM