update invalidates? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello - my version of vista was fully validated and i was having no probelms. however, today i installed an optional update (via the microsoft update service) for my nvidia serial ata.  now my vista say it is no longer validated - and when i try to update it says i am using a different computer (which i am not).  When i use system restore vista becomes validated once again. the update to my Sata driver makes a clear improovement in my system ( ! ), so i would like to keep it - is there a work arround?  Here are my results from the tool:

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Validation Control not Installed
    Detailed Status: 0x1
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-VJRXK-DRJR6-3H9Y8
    Windows Product Key Hash: fXnorgke4HEP/A2g0iKNivonFGE=
    Windows Product ID: 89578-OEM-7304106-60178
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 6.0.6000.2.00010300.0.0.003
    ID: 53034bf2-440c-4f65-913b-b3b780b01bb8
    Is Admin: No
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070006
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium
    Architecture: 0x00000000
    Build lab: 6000.vista_rtm.061101-2205
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-3178-80070002_025D1FF3-138-80041010_025D1FF3-324-80040154_025D1FF3-269-80040154_025D1FF3-273-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>53034bf2-440c-4f65-913b-b3b780b01bb8</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>6.0.6000.2.00010300.0.0.003</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-3H9Y8</PKey><PID>89578-OEM-7304106-60178</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-3122704672-3809662787-2524920638</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>NVIDIA</Manufacturer><Model>AWRDACPI</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Award Software International, Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>F9</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20060210000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>16303507018400F6</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91120000-002F-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007</Name><Ver>12</Ver><Val>1394D1DFDAA5E12</Val><Hash>n/29InPinQp0e9sWNHxKGM+/TzQ=</Hash><Pid>81602-777-1539197-68720</Pid><PidType>1</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Tuesday, March 6, 2007 10:40 PM

Answers

• Hi there,

The results of your tool tell me that at this system point you haven't yet validated.  You should be able to keep that driver update and your genuine status. 

After you reinstall the update please:

1. activate (by phone -- use "slui 4" in a command prompt to get started) 

2. revalidate (click "Validate Windows" here: www.microsoft.com/genuine)

that should solve your issue.

Please let me know if that works or if you need more help.  Thanks a lot!

Thursday, March 8, 2007 1:03 AM
  • I'm glad phone activation worked for you.  Would you be willing to help us reproduce this problem?  We're working on it in-house, but it would help us to see the event logs of someone who's hit this issue in the real world.  If you'd be interested in helping us out, you can open a free service request by visiting: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?c1=509&gprid=9860& and post your SR number here (you'll get that number in an e-mail once you submit the request and it will look something like this: SRX020304606554.)  Then I'll contact you directly that way to protect your privacy.  Please include in the request that a Microsoft employee from the forum asked you to post so they don't close the request before I can view it. Thank so much for you help!

Monday, March 12, 2007 7:58 PM
  • If your System Properties window is showing that you're activated and online validation says you're not, please:

1. Phone activate and speak with a support agent when you’re given the option.  You can start by typing "slui.exe 4" in the search field in the Start Menu and pressing Enter. Follow the prompts through phone activation (be ready for lots of numbers) and then reboot.  The phone activation process takes about 6 minutes.

2. Once you're done, please revalidate by clicking on "Validate Windows" here: www.microsoft.com/genuine

After you've validated successfully you can log out and log back in or reboot to get rid of any non-genuine messaging you may be getting.

If you’ve tried phone activation and you're still reaching the same validation failure page (with error code 0xC004C4A6), please open a free service request by visiting: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?c1=509&gprid=9860 and post your confirmation number here.  I'll contact you directly so we can figure out the cause of your issue. 

If you're not in the US, please also post the name of the support agent who contacts you by e-mail once you've made the free service request.

Thank you!

Tuesday, May 22, 2007 6:13 PM

All replies

• Hi there,

The results of your tool tell me that at this system point you haven't yet validated.  You should be able to keep that driver update and your genuine status. 

Thursday, March 8, 2007 1:03 AM
  • re-installed update, phoned to re-activate and then was told that my liscence only allowed me to install on one computer- particularly annoying because thats all i have done.  The automated phone machine then hung up on me.

what shoudl i do next - i now have 2 days to activate my copy of windows, unless i use system restore to remove the update - then i am a bit slower but my pc is magically activated again!

is there any other way to get my copy activated and keep the driver update?

Thursday, March 8, 2007 8:20 AM
  • I hate to ask you to try phone activating again, but you should be able to speak with a live person once the automated system fails you.  You'll just need to tell them what steps you took before the issue occurred and they'll help you get activated.  Thanks again!
    Thursday, March 8, 2007 6:49 PM
  • I just encountered this exact error.  Downloaded the nForce 4 SATA driver update from Windows Update a few days prior and about 5 minutes ago Vista notified me that I need to reactivate due to major hardware changes.  Obviously nothing has changed.  I'm running Vista Ultimate RTM from my MSDN Universal subscription.  Thankfully, I was able to do a reactivation online.  The strange part is that Vista said I only had 1 day left to activate but I only just received the message.

I'm a huge Microsoft supporter/developer and love Vista, but this validation issue really needs to be addressed (and yes I have the update that fixes the potential random reactivation requests.)  I know why the driver caused the motherboard to appear different to Vista, but since Vista driver support for various onboard controllers is weak right now, a lot of people are going to run into this issue when they finally get a update drivers for their controllers/chipsets/on-board devices/etc.  Not good.

Friday, March 9, 2007 3:38 AM
  •  I installed the same update and got the same re-activation request.  I got it cleared up via a phone call but this is going to be very annoying if it happens everytime I install the wrong driver.

I noticed Nvida has an entire package of Nforce 4 drivers for vista now but I hate to attempt a install after this experience.

Friday, March 9, 2007 4:36 AM
  • Its good to know i am am not the only one - on my second attempt to re-activate by phone (this time during working hours!) I was able to re-activate , but it does make me a bit wary about further updates...

thanks for your solution tho, at least I can still use vista!

Saturday, March 10, 2007 11:15 AM
  • I'm glad phone activation worked for you.  Would you be willing to help us reproduce this problem?  We're working on it in-house, but it would help us to see the event logs of someone who's hit this issue in the real world.  If you'd be interested in helping us out, you can open a free service request by visiting: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?c1=509&gprid=9860& and post your SR number here (you'll get that number in an e-mail once you submit the request and it will look something like this: SRX020304606554.)  Then I'll contact you directly that way to protect your privacy.  Please include in the request that a Microsoft employee from the forum asked you to post so they don't close the request before I can view it. Thank so much for you help!

Monday, March 12, 2007 7:58 PM
  • My Sony Vaio notebook recieved a bios update yesterday, once the machine had rebooted my OEM copy of Vista was deactivated. I am only given three options:

Access your computer with reduced functionality

Type a different product key

Contact Sony Corporation to help resolve this problem

I have tried contacting Sony but I have had no response yet and their telephone service is only open Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm which doesnt help me when I need to use my pc this weekend!

I have read all comments about what to do in this situation and all say to call the microsoft activation number, but I am not given this option on my notebook and so have no access to the telephone number which is not published anywhere online.

Does anyone know the number I need to call to activate Vista please?

Many thanks

Ryan

Saturday, May 12, 2007 8:10 AM
  • I have just gone through the same problem for the same reason.  It is annoying enough to have to call everytime I update something but it was particularly irksome in that the person on the other end of the line was rude and when I requested to speak with her supervisor she hung up.  Definitely not good public relations.
    Saturday, May 12, 2007 8:49 AM
  •  RGSlater wrote:
    I have just gone through the same problem for the same reason.  It is annoying enough to have to call everytime I update something but it was particularly irksome in that the person on the other end of the line was rude and when I requested to speak with her supervisor she hung up.  Definitely not good public relations.

Was this Sony or Microsoft?

Do you have the number for the automated Microsoft activation as Sony are not even responding to my online request?

Many thanks

Ryan

Saturday, May 12, 2007 2:11 PM
  •  Vista Validation Support - MS wrote:

Hi there,

I have tried this 3 times so far. I have gotten the "I'm sorry, I can not activate your copy of Windows now, please let me transfer you to a customer service (yadda, yadda, ya)...", and each time the phone hangs up on me. I tried the "slui 4" trick, it gives me the EXACT same #'s as before, and she still tells me there is nothing she can do and hangs up on me. I have been using the slow MS ATA drivers for my nForce4 SATA ports, I got the Windows Automatic update today at about 3am and noticed my "3 days left" this afternoon. Since I have owned Vista for more than 90 days, I get no free help...they want $59 for this(I tried to talk to a REAL person either in chat or phone). Is there going to be a fix in the next 2 days? I would hate to lose all my files and go back to XP.

Monday, May 14, 2007 7:45 PM
  • Same problem... of all you guys for nighyt attemp I am already scared....should by a Mac ....

Please HELP ME I nee to validate

Why this shtttttt of CD is include if the only thing that does it is to fffff the laptop

I am with a VAIO VGN please revert with a solution....

Monday, May 14, 2007 9:53 PM
  • Hi Zane 81,

You can get started with phone activation by typing "slui.exe 4" in the search field in the Start Menu and pressing Enter.  The phone activation process takes about 6 minutes.

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 2:57 AM
  • I finally got through on the 5th try last night. This seems to be more hassle than it's worth, but if you can get through, you can get it fixed. I'm looking forward to my next time. Is there a direct number we can use instead of going through the motions with the recording?
    Tuesday, May 15, 2007 8:40 AM
  • Hi,

Im able to help and can recreate the problem and restore from a ghost image right before the update at any time.

Confirmation numberTongue TiedRZ070516000087

Thanks

Mark

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 3:02 AM
  • Hi Mark,

Thanks for your offer!  Could you tell me the support agent with whom you're working?  I'll need to ask that person to help me get in contact with you.

Thank you!

Friday, May 18, 2007 12:55 AM
  • Hi Alex Toledo,

Have you tried phone activating yet? 

Thanks!

Friday, May 18, 2007 12:57 AM
  • Hello

I am having the exact same problem!  Windows Vista thinks it is "Activated" but "Not Genuine".

I have been able to SUCCESSFULLY reactivate Windows online; however after doing so it STILL says that Windows is not genuine.

What do I do???  I want my PC working again!

SS
    Saturday, May 19, 2007 11:14 PM
  • If your System Properties window is showing that you're activated and online validation says you're not, please:

1. Phone activate and speak with a support agent when you’re given the option.  You can start by typing "slui.exe 4" in the search field in the Start Menu and pressing Enter. Follow the prompts through phone activation (be ready for lots of numbers) and then reboot.  The phone activation process takes about 6 minutes.

2. Once you're done, please revalidate by clicking on "Validate Windows" here: www.microsoft.com/genuine

After you've validated successfully you can log out and log back in or reboot to get rid of any non-genuine messaging you may be getting.

If you’ve tried phone activation and you're still reaching the same validation failure page (with error code 0xC004C4A6), please open a free service request by visiting: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?c1=509&gprid=9860 and post your confirmation number here.  I'll contact you directly so we can figure out the cause of your issue. 

If you're not in the US, please also post the name of the support agent who contacts you by e-mail once you've made the free service request.

Thank you!

Tuesday, May 22, 2007 6:13 PM
  • Why is this windows updates still invalidating my systems. This is number two(2) I watched the update and then the dreaded message I have illegal software. Excuse me, I do not. I resent the accusation!

Are you trying to eliminate legal long time supporters by complely offending them?

Please supply a manager who I may talk with.

Jerry Catanzano

catco@sbcglobal.net

Friday, November 30, 2007 8:23 AM
  • I've had this deactivation happen to me twice now.

The 1st time was when I added a hard drive to my new PC to handle Vista's high storage demands. I called customer support at Microsoft and was immediately given the Spanish Inquisition... Name, E-Mail, Phone number, etc. The support guy treated me like a criminal for 10 minutes as he grilled me for information about myself and my version of Vista. When I finally "passed his interrogation" he informed me that I would not be getting any help from Microsoft unless I payed them over £40, as I had an OEM version and needed to return to the shop. I was disgusted with his attitude and my previously high opinion of Microsoft was forver changed. I returned my PC to the shop (a mere 230km round trip from where I live *wince*) and the tech team in the shop activated it again through Microsoft.

The second time was just a day ago, when I noticed Intel had a new version of their AHCI RAID drivers/software available. I had v6.2 and naturally updated to v7. After rebooting with my shiny new drivers, Vista spat a message at me saying I had 3 days to activate Windows after a "MAJOR" hardware change! LOL. I can laugh about it now, but at the time I was genuinely sweating with concern, and my stomach was turning... The thought of going through all the inconvenience I had the first time was not nice at all. I thought a moment, then wondered if a system restore would fix the problem and reactivate Vista, which it did! I now have an outdated set of drivers for a major system component, and by the looks of it will have no way to ever update.

I've really loved Vista since I bought it with my new PC, and the new DX10 games look truly amazing. But these reactivation problems have put me off completely. I was even considering upgrading to the full retail version of Vista Ultimate (which is nearly £400), but there is simply no way I would waste that much money on a product that I am convinced will only let me use it for a limited amount of time, as I am a hardcore gamer and upgrade my PC fairly often. Looks like XP and DX9 will be my only option for the future... Thanks Microsoft! "Genuine advantage", my arse!

Thursday, January 3, 2008 9:39 AM