Recovering WHS Backups RRS feed

• Question

• System Drive died... I have 4 drives total in my EX470.  I did a system recovery and went well (after switching recovery from a Win7 64 machine to a Win XP 32bit laptop - another story!)  Of course the Backup database needs repair after the sys re-intstall but I am nervous I will loose all of my backups if I run the repair option.  I am currently pulling the other drives out of the WHS and copying the contents of each "{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}" folder to a backup drive.  I used HDD-Regenerator to resurrect the dead system drive and as we know, the contents of the "{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}" folder on that drive cannot be copied to a backup drive (right? - error 0x80070780).  So once this data is all backed up (3 drives) how do I recover the backup database?  There is only 1 machine that was backed on WHS up that I really need to recover as it's system disc died (while my WHS was down) with the dreaded "click... click... click" syndrome -  If I run the repair and all backups go away, can I recontruct backups with the drive copy-overs I am doing now?  What's the procedure?  Thanks in advance! 

Scott

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 1:15 AM

All replies

• Unfortunately, the loss of any component of the backup database will normally mean the loss of the entire database.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 3:23 AM
  • Not sure I'm clear... if I am able to recover the d: drive from the original system disk (still have errors on the C: partition preventing from just re-inserting it back into the WHS), and I have done no repair on the backup database since the new recovery, and all the other 3 drives were "o.k.", your saying there is no way to recover the backups?  The client computer I'm trying to restore see's the backups when doing a restore, but it does not complete... only goes for a minute and then says there is a network error.  Is there anything on the old system drive D:\folders\"{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}" drive that is useful other than just to see the "pointers"?

Thx-

Scott

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 3:47 AM
  • You're looking in the wrong place. There may be files in D:\DE\Folders\etc. which are part of the backup database. If any of those files was damaged when the system drive failed, the database is likely to be history, because there isn't a tool capable of repairing it.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 4:05 AM
  • Let me ask you this... on the old system disk, in the D Drive DE folder, I am able to copy the files to a new ddrive with no problem.  But in the Folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}, if I try to copy these file to the new drive, I get  "error 0x80070780 the file cannot be accessed by the system".  I notice that the folder at the root level has a lock on it.  Is this normal or is this perhaps an issue with the drive itself?  If not a failing drive issue, can I unlock this folder and then copy off the files?

SL

Friday, November 19, 2010 8:26 PM