Windows Azure HPC Scheduler SDK v1.8 restricts number of head node instances RRS feed

• Question

• I am testing our migration to HPC 2012 on Azure. Part of this involves moving from v1.6 to v1.8 of the Windows Azure HPC Scheduler SDK.

When using v1.6 I was able to configure two head node instances on Azure, which I believe creates an Active/Passive setup for the scheduler. With v1.8 using the same configuration gives the following error:

VERBOSE: Executing GenConfig library
    WARNING: An exception was caught in Microsoft.Hpc.Azure.ClusterConfig.ClusterConfig
    Exception calling "Generate" with "2" argument(s): "The instance number of HeadNode/WebFrontEndHeadNode role cannot be 
    greater than one."
    At [snip]\WindowsAzureSchedulerModules\WindowsAzureScheduler\WindowsAzureScheduler.psm1:1252 char:9
    +         $clusterConfig.Generate($InputCSCfg, $OutConfigFile)

This is an exception from the Microsoft.Hpc.Azure.ClusterConfig.dll assembly. It looks like a new check was added to the v1.8 library.

So my question is this: Is this new check correct? Can I only have one head node instance on Azure?

Would that not mean my head node will go down for windows updates, or if there is a hardware fault.

Thursday, April 11, 2013 12:42 AM

All replies

• The check is correct.  Only one head node is supported.
    Friday, April 12, 2013 10:15 PM
  • Thanks for replying. Can you comment on the reason for the change? Are there any suggestions for mitigation in terms of avoiding downtime? Thanks again.
    Monday, April 15, 2013 3:39 AM