none
How to recover file deleted by SyncToy RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, need urgent help from everyone here.

My hard disk was corrupted. Initially, I thought it is alright since I used SyncToy to synchronize .PST files regularly to external hard disk. To my horror, I realized that .PST file was zero byte!!!! It is most likely due to synchronization when outlook process was somehow still running, hence the .PST file may still be locked without my knowledge.

Then, i tried to use freeware "undelete plus" to recover this .PST file from external harddisk. The software managed to detect 400MB files and successfully undeleted. However, the files are not recognized by outlook. I tried to undo simple text file as well, somehow the files contains rubbish characters.

The question: does SyncToy do secure wipe-out so deleted files by SyncToy can't be recovered by undelete tools? Please advice what should I do next. Desperate for solution. Thanks.
    Monday, June 8, 2009 1:45 PM

All replies

• Hi, need urgent help from everyone here.

My hard disk was corrupted. Initially, I thought it is alright since I used SyncToy to synchronize .PST files regularly to external hard disk. To my horror, I realized that .PST file was zero byte!!!! It is most likely due to synchronization when outlook process was somehow still running, hence the .PST file may still be locked without my knowledge.

Then, i tried to use freeware "undelete plus" to recover this .PST file from external harddisk. The software managed to detect 400MB files and successfully undeleted. However, the files are not recognized by outlook. I tried to undo simple text file as well, somehow the files contains rubbish characters.

The question: does SyncToy do secure wipe-out so deleted files by SyncToy can't be recovered by undelete tools? Please advice what should I do next. Desperate for solution. Thanks.
    to clarify my question, does SyncToy somehow "encrypt" files before deleted? Hence, I can't use any undelete tools to recover them? HELP.. I DO NEED YOUR HELP, my precious emails for 1+ years may be gone forever :(
    Monday, June 8, 2009 1:48 PM
  • Hi -

I am sorry about your file being deleted. You are right about why you are seeing zero bytes files. But SyncToy does absolutely nothing to encrypt/fudge/mangle or in anyway mess with the file before we delete it. It is a straight file delete call. Normally ( unless checked otherwise) we do try to send deleted files to the Recycle Bin but it is unlikely in this case that it went to the Recycle Bin. Regular undelete tools should work - we do nothing special to delete files.

Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Monday, June 8, 2009 5:56 PM
  • Dear Sir

I sncronized  my  local HD  to an external disk.

Now im missing in bothe  harddisk a lot  of files,  is possible to go back in someway ?

thias is a message from the log file Synctoy rror: Cannot read from the source file Z:\Backup_F\Foto\1. Video Sony\2009 Aprile Concerto Pianoforte Bambini\20090408162758.m2ts. Das System kann den angegebenen Pfad nicht finden. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070003) Renaming Z:\Backup_F\Foto\1. Video Sony\2009 Aprile Concerto Pianoforte Bambini\20090408162758.m2ts to Z:\Backup_F\Foto\1. Video Sony\2009\2009 Aprile Concerto Pianoforte Bambini\20090408162758.m2ts

Thanks a lot for the support

Macci

Thursday, May 6, 2010 8:11 PM
  • I wanted to lend some support to this thread as I have just suffered the same fate as arsenal01. I must have had a ghost process for outlook still running whilst SyncToy (2.0) was operating and as above, to my horror I found that my outlook PST file was zero bytes. I have used several (>5) tools to try to recover the files now and they have been found and recovered, but Outlook 2007 will not recognise them at all when I try to open them within the application.

I have also tried to use the SCANPST tool that comes with Office, but this refuses to recognise the files. It would seem that I now have now lost 4-6mnths worth of emails and important files, which is very upsetting. I will continue to try to resolve this and if I find a solution will post again.

Would appreciate some further thought by Deepa on this subject as have used SyncToy as my primary tool for backup and have also sold the idea to many others too! Thanks.

MikeTheMerciless

Friday, September 17, 2010 6:13 AM
  • Hi,

I have similar issue, I mistakenly run to sync with a folder that has nmothing in it and it deleted all of my files from current folder. Is there any possibilty to receover those files ????

Sunday, November 28, 2010 8:48 AM
  • Friends

Please advise if we find any option. I'm also did the same mistake

I may even loose my job. Pls help friends

Kiran

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 6:50 AM