Restore Files Question RRS feed

• Question

• I just starting using the trial version yesterday and I like it very much.
    My question concerns the restore procedure.  I think I understand how to do a full system restore.
    What I am not sure of is how to restore a individual file.
    If a user want to restore a single file from a backup, it looks like they would have to log into the WHS console using the master password, rather than their individual password.  Once there I see how to restore the file.

Is there no way for a user to restore a file without having access to everything?  I would prefer for a user to have access to their backups, and nothing else.
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 1:39 PM

All replies

• You're correct; you need the console password to use the single file restore functionality. Restoring a file is a task an administrator has to perform. Only someone who has administrator access to the PC you're doing the single file restore on is able to restore files; this may not be the regular user of a PC (some parents don't grant their kids admin access to their own computers, for example). 

There's certainly no way to change this in this version of Windows Home Server; I can't speak to future versions, of course.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 2:38 PM
  • If you want to get this changed eventually in a future version, register on Connect and make an proposal or vote for one of the already existing in that direction, if you can find one.
    Best greetings from Germany and happy holidays
    Olaf
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 4:48 PM
  • If you want to get this changed eventually in a future version, register on Connect and make an proposal or vote for one of the already existing in that direction, if you can find one.

Thanks!  I will do just that.
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 7:32 PM