Centralized backup only working on 2 of 3 computers RRS feed

• Question

• Vista computer 1 has external drive, Vista computer 2 and XP computer were in the circle and set to back up to external drive on Vista computer 1.  All worked just fine until December 6th.   Now XP computer refuses to backup to external drive on Vista Computer 1.  Vista computer 2 continues to backup as before.   Has there been an update to Vista that could be causing this?  No other hardware or software changes have been made to any of the computers.    I've removed XP computer from the circle, re-added the XP computer the circle, reconfigured the backup, etc.  It really has me stumped.  Anyone have any ideas? 

Saturday, December 27, 2008 12:21 AM

Answers

• OK...just seemed to have fixed it.

Went to the hub PC and turned off the centralized location, then turned back on the centralized backup location, then "saved" the settings.  That fixed the problem.

I really like OneCare but it seems that I have to troubleshoot some quirky backup issue every couple of months.

I guess w/the product going away, one option is to get Moro and Windows Home Server for backups, etc.

David

Sunday, December 28, 2008 2:42 PM
  • I tried the exact same thing - several times on several different days and it didn't work. 

Then today when I tried it again it finally did work.  I guess the stars were all aligned right today.  Who knows why computers do what they do at times. 
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 9:41 PM

All replies

• I'm having the exact same problem.  The error I get on the XP machine is "unable to contact centralized backup device for unknown reasons." 

Both Vista machines are locating the backup drive w/no problems.

David

Sunday, December 28, 2008 1:25 PM
  • OK...just seemed to have fixed it.

Went to the hub PC and turned off the centralized location, then turned back on the centralized backup location, then "saved" the settings.  That fixed the problem.

I really like OneCare but it seems that I have to troubleshoot some quirky backup issue every couple of months.

I guess w/the product going away, one option is to get Moro and Windows Home Server for backups, etc.

David

Sunday, December 28, 2008 2:42 PM
  • I tried the exact same thing - several times on several different days and it didn't work. 

Then today when I tried it again it finally did work.  I guess the stars were all aligned right today.  Who knows why computers do what they do at times. 
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 9:41 PM
  • I'm suspecting that it was actually a firewall/network issue that I see regularly on Vista machines. Basically, the firewall decides to block all traffic for file and printer sharing after resume from sleep periodically. The solution in that case seems to be to disable and enable the firewall on the host machine. However, since you were able to solve it by redoing the backup settings, it may actually be a problem in the OneCare database where settings for the firewall exceptions as well as the backup plan are stored. By resetting the plan, you are updating the database. So, assuming that the firewall settings/exceptions are to blame, any change to the database may be enough to cause it to work again.
    Glad to read that it is working.
    And, I'll echo that WHS is a great solution for backup - I don't use OneCare backup simply because it is too quirky and too limited for me. I use SyncToy to get data backed up between PCs and WHS to do image backups of all of my PCs nightly.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Monday, December 29, 2008 1:28 PM