V. 4 Update Please bring the Font/Font Size options back RRS feed

• Question

• HI

I am still having problems with the font rendering in the new v. 4 update.

I typically keep my notes in MS Word and copy / paste from there into a forum post. When I compose a new message, everything looks proper. The font sizes are correct.

When I click Submit and the message posts, some type of rendering takes place and I end up with several lines of 6pt type, a couple of lines are 10pt, and my sig line is 12pt?

If this happened before in v.3, I could simply select all of the text, and click a font size to fix the problem. In v. 4, the only option is to edit the HTML code and this can take an extraordinary amout of time.

Thanks,

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Monday, March 30, 2009 6:32 PM

All replies

• What happens if you compose your message in a plain text editor like NotePad?
    David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Monday, March 30, 2009 7:25 PM
  • Hi David

This would probably work, but the problem is that many of the boilerplate messages that I copy/paste contain website links that are preconfigured in Word or copied/pasted directly from a website.

This all worked just fine in v.3 and older, but is completely broken in .v4?

I know that the problem is likely a conflict with the new rendering format in v.4 and the way the HTML links are formatted, either in Word or on the website where they are copied. If this happened in v.3, it was a simple fix to just select all of the text in the message and then select a font size using the font size button.

I know that some users don't like having the font size button available, because it is subject to misuse, but if I come across a post where it has been misused, I can simply edit the post and fix it with the font size button.

My knowledge of HTML code is entry level, at best. If there were a simple HTML tag that I could use to set all of the text in a message to the same size font, I would not mind using that, as a workaround?

Regards,

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Monday, March 30, 2009 8:57 PM
  • >What happens if you compose your message in a plain text editor like NotePad?

For copy/paste this adds an extra step (and needs to have Notepad open which is a bit difficult in a Mac !). (Yes I know there is a Mac equivalent - it's the extra step that bothers me).

On the other hand no font change means some users can't annoy the rest of us with their bolds and putting things in red, but it does make it unnecessarily difficult to correct stuff that users have used HTML code (or just copied in from Word) to get in these crazy formats.

Hard to say which is best. Really best would be that everything that went in was converted to exactly the same font and HTML wasn't allowed either !! (Fat chance of getting that I know)

WSS FAQ sites: WSS 2.0: http://wssv2faq.mindsharp.com WSS 3.0 and MOSS 2007: http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com
    Total list of WSS 3.0 and MOSS 2007 Books (including foreign language titles) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/Lists/v3%20WSS%20FAQ/V%20Books.aspx
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 11:33 AM