Why can't I use my old Microsft WHS Domain Name for WHS 2011 after upgrading? RRS feed

• Question

• Well, I've tried again later enough already! What's the deal with Domain names for remote access? I had one for 2 years uner the older WHS and it worked fine. How do I go about moving it over to WHS 2011? I tried every combination I could think of on the screens to set up the Domain and determined this area could use a little work?!

Can anyone help with this? Thanks a lot.

Igneous
    Saturday, August 13, 2011 6:18 PM

Answers

• Thanks Theo I had tried that....in fact that whole area is confusing and needs a re-work. I spent yesterday doing a complete new (Re) Install and the problem is gone! When I went to input my Windows registered Domain Name it accepted it this time. I want to thank everyone for their input and without you guys I would have pulled all my hair out.

I never recall doing anything wrong on the first install but did notice a lot of upgrade activity in the last few days for .NET Framework 4. I also renamed my server back to the name I had on ver1 of WHS. I had looked into DNS/Router being the problem but didn't think that was the problem. Anyway see you all down the road I'm sure!

Igneous
    • Marked as answer by Igneous Monday, August 15, 2011 1:01 PM
    Monday, August 15, 2011 1:01 PM

All replies

• You will need to give more information than that. There is no reason why you can't re-use your old domain name.

Typical problems are:

• You have special characters in your Connect Password
    • You are not using the same Connect account as the one you created the original domain name in.

From what I recall from when I did it, you log in to your Connect account, enter your old domain name and it tells you that domain is associated with the Connect account you are using and asks if you want to use it with this server.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Saturday, August 13, 2011 7:01 PM
  • Hello Phil,

Do I somehow have to release or transfer my old registered Micrsoft WHS ver 1 Domain Nmae to use it in 2011?

everytime I try to do anything on the Domain Setup screens it tells me an error occurred while setting up my Domain Name and to wait a few minutes and try agin. I've tried maybe 100 times over a week. I have no other problems with the new software, backups are going along fine. I've had no problems with my D-Link DIR-655 Router. What else would you like to know?

Thanks a lot!

Igneous
    Saturday, August 13, 2011 8:14 PM
  • Have you checked that your password does not have special characters in it (only use 1-0), a-z & A-Z)?

Do you have Port forwarding in your router set up correctly to your server (Port 80 (optional) and Port 443 (required))?

When you get into your Connect account and enter the old domain name what does it tell you?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Saturday, August 13, 2011 8:20 PM
  • Password?...for the Dashboard, or the Windows Live Account? Both of those work fine. I do have a hyphen in the password to sign on to my server as I always have including ver 1. Is that what you mean? Yes, I have ports 80 and 443 open. I don't see anything in my Connect Account that relates to my old server domain.

Igneous

Oh, the full message I keep getting is:

An error occurred while setting up your domain name.

The domain name was not set up for your server.  Wait few minutes and run the wizard again.

An unexpected or unknown problem occurred, please wait a few minutes and then try again.

Saturday, August 13, 2011 9:05 PM
  • I was talking about your Connect password (as in my original question) - it is known to cause these sort of problems. Are you sure that is the same Connect account you created the old name in? If not, you will have to log into that Connect account to retrieve the old domain. The process is normally you go through the set up domain process, log into your Connect account, enter the domain name you want to use (old one in this case) and it should tell you that name is already in use and associated with your Connect account and then ask if you want to use it with your new server.

As a test, it might be worth tying a new domain name to see if that works - you can always release it later.

Saturday, August 13, 2011 9:19 PM
  • Hi sorry for hi-jacking this but i have just done a re-install of WHS 2011. I am now getting the same error message with my Homeserver.com. Is there a way to check that the service isnt actually down? At the Microsoft end i mean!

Saturday, August 13, 2011 10:20 PM
  • My Connect password is the same as my Passport and Live Mail, just alpha numeric. I created the old domain name when I installed WHS ver 1 a couple years ago with the install for remote access. I don't remember doing anything with Connect. There is nothing in my Connect account about domain names. I also tried a new domain name and got the same "wait a few minutes" response.
    Igneous
    Saturday, August 13, 2011 10:35 PM
  • This error usually indicates that there's a problem on Microsoft's end. Unfortunately, you will have to wait for Microsoft to fix the problem, if that's the case. Waiting a couple of days is not outside the bounds of reason. As Microsoft sees it, anyway...

What you can do to test in the mean time is to take a laptop to a location with free WiFi and try to access your home server's remote access web site via your router's WAN IP address. This is usually visible in your router's configuration tools.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, August 13, 2011 10:38 PM
  • If i may just one last post... I really dont like hijacking threads, but it seems mine & Igneous' issues are similar. If i chose a custom domain with godaddy or enom, do i actually need the SSL certificate?
    Saturday, August 13, 2011 10:46 PM
  • Dave, if you go with GoDaddy or other outside Domain providers you will be paying yearly for the Domain name. With the WHS software, at least in the past, Microsoft has provided a free Domain name under the "----.homeserver.com" scheme.

Phil, as I said in my second post I've gone a week with these messages. Also I get the same situation wired or wireless.

All I can have at this point is patience and a little more help :)

Igneous
    Saturday, August 13, 2011 11:15 PM
  • Igneous

Was that comment meant for Ken, who asked you to wait? I was aware you have been looking at this for over a week.

Saturday, August 13, 2011 11:25 PM
  • If i may just one last post... I really dont like hijacking threads, but it seems mine & Igneous' issues are similar. If i chose a custom domain with godaddy or enom, do i actually need the SSL certificate?

That really is hijacking - totally different subject which deserves a thread of its own.

Saturday, August 13, 2011 11:26 PM
  • Yes Phil it was for Ken....my bad!

I was browsing around and found this. Do I need to do this. They sure don't explain the steps very well:

https://domains.live.com/Manage/ManageDomains.aspx?DomainName=laemers.homeserver.com

There in fact is my old domain name. Not so old, just used it a couple weeks ago!

Igneous
    Sunday, August 14, 2011 12:09 AM
  • Igneous. I dont know if u already tried or even if it will help... But i have just done another reinstall. This time WHS2011 was quite happy to take up my registered Microsoft domain. I guess something went fubar on the last reinstall..

Phil... Yes my apologies, but the issues that Igneous and myself are having, i would quite happily have paid to get rid of them.

Sunday, August 14, 2011 1:01 AM
  • Dave, I have a week of backups from 2 computers already. You think a re-install will fix this AND save my current back-ups?!
    Igneous
    Sunday, August 14, 2011 1:41 AM
  • A new install will overwrite th first HDD, but your data is recoverable if you have server backups - data on other disks will remain. If it's only Client backups you might loose, that seems like a small price to pay if it fixes your problem.
    Sunday, August 14, 2011 1:48 AM
  • I have done this before... Apparently the client backups do still work ok. You will just need to make sure that u unplug everything except the install drive if you choose to reinstall. Not knowing the layout of your system its difficult to say the best route. BUT... if youre client backup folder is not on the same physical hard drive as the OS... then you will be good to go. You may have to do some folder migrating afterwards tho. Anyways its nearly 3am in the UK. Time for bed lol. Good luck and will check in to see how u get on.
    Sunday, August 14, 2011 1:49 AM
  • Well I do have my server backed up on another external. I just installed 2011 a week ago and it may require a re-install?! Geez....

Maybe I'll have a cocktail and "clear" my mind...

Igneous
    Sunday, August 14, 2011 1:53 AM
  • Here is the full story:

Backup & Restore

Martini?

Sunday, August 14, 2011 2:01 AM
  • Thanks Phil, and everyone! I'll do the re-install tomorrow.

Right now the Absolut on the rocks is more important ;)

I'll chime back in when I know something....which may be a while...

Igneous
    Sunday, August 14, 2011 2:36 AM
  • On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 21:19:07 +0000, Phil  Harrison wrote:

I was talking about your Connect password (as in my original question) - it is known to cause these sort of problems. Are you sure that is the same Connect account you created the old name in?

I too have no idea what "Connect" account you're referring to here. If
    you're talking about the Microsoft Connect web site, not everyone has
    access to that site. If that's not what you're referring to then I have no
    idea what you're talking about. I've never once seen the account one uses
    to setup anything on WHS 2011 referred to as a Connect account.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Unprecedented performance:  Nothing ever ran this slow before.

Sunday, August 14, 2011 8:18 AM
  • Windows Live Account
    Sunday, August 14, 2011 10:58 AM
  • On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 10:58:00 +0000, Phil  Harrison wrote:

Windows Live Account

Ok, but that's not the same thing necessarily as a Connect account, and using "Connect" is confusing. As I said, not everyone here will be active on Connect.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng.

Sunday, August 14, 2011 11:15 AM
  • Ingenious,

(My 2 cents as there might be some confusion...) Make sure you choose the option for registering a *new* domain?
    Enter your excisting *.homeserver.com domain and the password belonging to the Windows Live account you used to register it.
    Your existing domain will then be reused and registered for your server.

- Theo,
    No home server like Home Server
    • Marked as answer by Igneous Monday, August 15, 2011 12:48 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Igneous Monday, August 15, 2011 12:48 PM
    Sunday, August 14, 2011 6:22 PM
  • Thanks Theo I had tried that....in fact that whole area is confusing and needs a re-work. I spent yesterday doing a complete new (Re) Install and the problem is gone! When I went to input my Windows registered Domain Name it accepted it this time. I want to thank everyone for their input and without you guys I would have pulled all my hair out.

I never recall doing anything wrong on the first install but did notice a lot of upgrade activity in the last few days for .NET Framework 4. I also renamed my server back to the name I had on ver1 of WHS. I had looked into DNS/Router being the problem but didn't think that was the problem. Anyway see you all down the road I'm sure!

Igneous
    • Marked as answer by Igneous Monday, August 15, 2011 1:01 PM
    Monday, August 15, 2011 1:01 PM
  • Is there any way to transfer a domain from one Live account to another?

I started with WHS 0.5 when you had to us an internal MS email to register it, so that's what my domain name is bound to.

Now that's not even an option, so I can't re-use that domain name.  Is there a way out of this, or do I just suck it up and change the name and all external references to files I had published using IIS on that WHS machine?

Microsoft SQL Server Storage Engine PM

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 5:37 PM