cant perform backups anymore RRS feed

• Question

• Have been trying to troubleshoot a failed backup for 20 days now.  Was working perfectly but now I cant seem to get it fixed.  WHS with Power Pack 1, x86, with an x64 client. The client was working flawlessly for many months. There appeared to have been a power failure or memory corruption which occurred when I wasnt around, but the machine booted up. Unfortunately all backups have failed since then.

I tried uninstalling the client software and reinstalling from "\\server\software\Home Server Connector Software". Seemed to install fine  but when I try to do a backup it fails with:
    "The backup failed because of a problem with your Windows Home Server Connector software. The System event log contains more details"
    (by the way this error message is not correct, the System log contains no events.  The events are logged in the Application event log)
    The Application event log contains the following events (they are in reverse time order):

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        HomeServer
    Date:          12/30/2008 9:40:21 PM
    Event ID:      770
    Task Category: HomeBackup
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      XXXXXXX_CLIENTPC
    Description:
    Backup set 137 on XXXXXXXX_SERVER failed: System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.WHSCaptureDrivers(StringBuilder destinationDrives)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.RunWithoutCatch()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.Run()

Event ID:      132
    Task Category: None
    Description:
    Process BackupEngine failed at d:\wssg_src\whs_pp1\qhs\src\backup\drivercapture\lib\drivercapturelib.cpp(271).

Event ID:      130
    Task Category: None
    Description:
    Unexpected error 0x800401f3 from CLSIDFromString: Invalid class string

Event ID:      768
    Task Category: HomeBackup
    Level:         Information
    Description:
    Backup set 137 started on XXXXXXXX_SERVER.

Any ideas?

Wednesday, December 31, 2008 8:40 AM

All replies

• Did you check both event logs (on server and client)? Especially the event log of the server would be interesting here. Maybe it reports nfts/disk errors?

Is it only one PC or multiple clients, which have the problem?
    If only one: Please run chkdsk /f /r on each disk of the client PC.
    If more clients are affected or if this does not solve the issue:
    Login to the console and on Settings/Backup try a repair of the backup database.
    If this also does not help, delete the computer from the console and perform a backup cleanup.
    Add the computer again by running discovery.exe from C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server on the client.
    If this also fails, you may have to delete the entire backup database from the server and start the backups from the scratch (which may be the easiest approach in case all clients are affected and a repair does not solve the problem).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 8:58 AM
  • I have Power Pack 3 installed on my HP MediaSmart server. I am also receiving the same error message - preventing me from performing backups. Any help would be much appreciated. All the best, Pete
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 9:37 PM
  • Pete, please post a separate thread, rather than adding to one that hasn't been responded to in a year. Let us know what you've tried, from Olaf's list of suggested resolution/debugging steps...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, December 18, 2009 2:25 PM