none
Is there a way to index (and search) the backups database? RRS feed

• Question

• Question:  Is there a way to have WHS index and search the backup database (presumably with Desktop Search)?  Following is a use case to illustrate what I mean: this morning I realized that somewhere I have a PDF file (repair manual) that I'd like to locate.  I didn't know whether it was on my laptop or desktop or work computer or if I had already placed it somewhere on a share or if I had even mistakenly deleted it.  Obviously I hadn't accessed it in a while.  I'd love an easy way to find things like this.  I ended up locating it, but it took some time.

To me it seems like a killer feature for WHS would be the ability index all of the content in the backup DB and to include it in Desktop Search.  Now that I have one server that is aware of every single file across all of my computers, it seems like this should be possible.  I know I know, one logical response to my use case would be that I should be placing all of my content (including the PDF above) in the shares.  But in reality, that's not always the easiest thing to do.

Anyway, I'm curious if anyone has found a way to do this?

Thanks!
    Aaron
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 2:27 PM

Answers

• Hi Aaron,
    besides the Windows Home Server console no method to access the backups exists, which I would know about.
    If you feel, that this is a necessary feature in one of the next versions of Windows Home Server, you should register on Microsoft Connect and issue a feature recommendation,
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by awp0 Monday, May 11, 2009 2:36 PM
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 8:06 PM

All replies

• Hi Aaron,
    besides the Windows Home Server console no method to access the backups exists, which I would know about.
    If you feel, that this is a necessary feature in one of the next versions of Windows Home Server, you should register on Microsoft Connect and issue a feature recommendation,
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by awp0 Monday, May 11, 2009 2:36 PM
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 8:06 PM
  • Thanks.  Too bad this isn't possible today.
    Monday, May 11, 2009 2:37 PM