File conflict - The semaphore timout period has expired RRS feed

• Question

• My WHS is giving me warning with file conflict. And the detailed information is "The semaphore timout period has expired". Also a file is referenced. When I use 'Duplicate Info' plug-in to check the file, I found that the file is only stored in one phsical disk despite that the folder is marked as 'Duplicate'.

I can use the file from any client which is a Mpeg family movie. However I can not copy it to any client. I was going to copy it to anywhere and delete the one in the server and then copy it back again. But WHS doesn;t seem to allow me to do that.

How I can save this file? Can I take the HDD out to another machine and copy the file? If that is possible, I wonder whether I can delete the file after I put it back in to the driver pool. ANy comment on this?

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 10:50 PM

Answers

• My WHS is giving me warning with file conflict. And the detailed information is "The semaphore timout period has expired". Also a file is referenced. When I use 'Duplicate Info' plug-in to check the file, I found that the file is only stored in one phsical disk despite that the folder is marked as 'Duplicate'.

I can use the file from any client which is a Mpeg family movie. However I can not copy it to any client. I was going to copy it to anywhere and delete the one in the server and then copy it back again. But WHS doesn;t seem to allow me to do that.

How I can save this file? Can I take the HDD out to another machine and copy the file? If that is possible, I wonder whether I can delete the file after I put it back in to the driver pool. ANy comment on this?

First, you should check the File Conflict FAQ for an explanation of the various error messages.

In any event, first thing I would do is shut down the server, pull the drive that has the file on it from your server, connect that drive to a client, and copy the file to that client (so you have a backup).  Then you might want to start by running chkdsk /r on each drive in your server (after putting the other drive back, of course  :)  ).  See this FAQ post for details.  After that, if you're still having problems, try copying the backup you made back to the server to replace the one that's already there.

• Marked as answer by Dcdyd Saturday, April 10, 2010 1:40 AM
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 1:15 AM

All replies

First, you should check the File Conflict FAQ for an explanation of the various error messages.

In any event, first thing I would do is shut down the server, pull the drive that has the file on it from your server, connect that drive to a client, and copy the file to that client (so you have a backup).  Then you might want to start by running chkdsk /r on each drive in your server (after putting the other drive back, of course  :)  ).  See this FAQ post for details.  After that, if you're still having problems, try copying the backup you made back to the server to replace the one that's already there.

• Marked as answer by Dcdyd Saturday, April 10, 2010 1:40 AM
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 1:15 AM
  • Thank you for the quick response. I took the HDD off and connected it to a client. Unfortunately I can't copy the file to the client. The copy stalls when the progress bar says that 30 seconds left for the action. And that never ends. BY the way, I use Windows 7 for the client.

Any suggestion for me to go from here?

Thursday, April 8, 2010 5:35 PM
  • If there's only one copy, and it's on a corrupt disk, you're stuck. There isn't a way to retreive it.

Run chkdsk anyway, you may or may not get it working

Thursday, April 8, 2010 11:59 PM
  • Thank you for the quick response. I took the HDD off and connected it to a client. Unfortunately I can't copy the file to the client. The copy stalls when the progress bar says that 30 seconds left for the action. And that never ends. BY the way, I use Windows 7 for the client.

Any suggestion for me to go from here?

Since the video plays (does it play in its entirety, start to finish, without any problems?), perhaps you do have another shadow of that file on a different drive (no matter what the add-in says).  You could try pulling each drive out of the server and double check to see if you can find the file on any other drive.  See this FAQ for instructions on how to retrieve data manually.
    Friday, April 9, 2010 1:36 AM
  • I did run the chkdsk /x /r with the HDD which ia said to contain the bad file. One bad cluster was found in the file. After running CHKDsk, I could copy the file to anywhere. Since it is a media file, I can still play it and I don;t notice any picture difference., It is odd. But anyway, the problem is solved and thank yo all for the help.

Saturday, April 10, 2010 1:43 AM