Live Mesh Remote Desktop Enhancements - Configuring? RRS feed

• Question

• Here's as far as I've gotten for today and I still cannot get the Remote Desktop Enhancements to work on my Live Mesh

When developing software, sometimes developers take shortcuts in order to demonstrate ideas. While commendable, it doesn't always make it easy for the testers.

What follows is a list of things I've discovered that Live Mesh expects to have in order to function properly (For both installation, operation and Remote Desktop support). This is for a Vista x64 machine and I have not tried other machines yet.

1. Windows Firewall must be turned on.
    2. Windows User Account Control (UGH!!) must be turned on. -- required for Live Mesh Remote Desktop enhancement
    3. Internet Explorer -> Automatically Detect Settings must be turned on (I can't believe Proxy still exists).

Incidentally, I found a quick way to get that notifier to reappear for testing and how to debug some stuff. Save the LiveMesh.exe installer to the computer then just keep doing cmd -> livemesh /repair

After that repair finishes you can keep clicking the Live Mesh "Notifier" (which does not appear if UAC is off). This way you can keep toying with the Live Mesh Remote Desktop Enhancements.

The logfile for the service chatter is kept in c:\users\(you)\appdata\local\microsoft\live mesh\setup\servicing.log

The UAC tries to launch 'C:\Users\(you)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Live Mesh\Bin\Servicing\0.9.3424.31\MoeMonitor.exe' "/Normal:-UpdateApply -Admin" to get the Remote Desktop Essentials to go. Beyond that all I see is that there is an update in queue.

Update 11:13pm
    One thing I am trying just now is to whack the c:\users\(you)\appdata\local\microsoft\live mesh set of folders -- it will let me delete everything but the 3 files in the bin folder. Now I'm doing a livemesh.exe /repair ... Let's see what this does.

Update 11:15pm

That didn't work ... Giving up until tomorrow.
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 6:29 AM

Answers

• I have posted this bug (again -- but now with more details) to the Microsoft Connect area. I noticed that my previous submission was completely ignored. Perhaps if others having this issue were to rate my bug higher it may catch the attention of folks at Microsoft and be fixed. I suspect that many people just simply don't report this issue.

Microsoft Connect Feedback ID 433578
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 3:03 PM

All replies

• Hello Jefferson, I am not able to repro the items you find necessary for Live Mesh RD to function properly so I suspect there may be some other issue causing the problem. Could you please file a bug report with logs. How to submit Live Mesh bugs and logs - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/LiveMesh/thread/d52b350a-f3e0-41c6-8e78-d6378e566b9e
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 2:15 PM
  • I have posted this bug (again -- but now with more details) to the Microsoft Connect area. I noticed that my previous submission was completely ignored. Perhaps if others having this issue were to rate my bug higher it may catch the attention of folks at Microsoft and be fixed. I suspect that many people just simply don't report this issue.

Sunday, April 19, 2009 3:03 PM
  • Thanks for posting the link to the bug submission. Perhaps the additional information will help the Mesh Team resolve this issue.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 3:23 PM

I've marked this to take a look at the problem first thing in the morning Monday.  After all the above steps, it should have installed fine.

-ken
    Monday, April 20, 2009 4:13 AM
  • Thanks for your feedback. Please try the following procedure:
    1) Please click Start, MyComputer, C:, Program Files, Live Mesh, Remote Desktop 2) Delete the file wlcrasvc.exe 3) Right-click on the Mesh icon (blue orb) in your system tray and select, Check for updates 4) After the update has installed, reboot your computer 5) Send us an update.

Trying this now...
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 4:23 PM
  • This worked perfectly! Thanks!
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 4:23 PM
  • Thanks for confirming the solution. Glad you're up and running.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 5:54 PM