none
Activation Filter use RRS feed

• Question

• I'm currently working on a way to get the progress bar to move in accordance with an external application I am using.  I'm wondering if it is possible to run the activation filter until HPC finishes the job.  I would like to be able to create the dll and set it up to run in the background checking the progress of the job, and just wondered if the application filter stops after the task starts, or if it will keep running for until all tasks complete.

Any recommendations?

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 12:25 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Your job won't run until activitation filter finishes.

For your scenairo, is it possible to divide the job into several tasks? As right now the progress bar is showing the percentage of finished tasks/total tasks, you have to have a multi-task job to make it work properly.

Michael

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 3:53 PM
  • Michael, 

thank you for your reply.  You have answered my question in that the filter will stop when the task starts.  I can't break these two things up.  The code I am writing checks in on the progress of the task, and when it completes it will push the progress bar up to 100%.  I am firing off an external application from within HPC, and then monitoring it's progress through HPC.  

I think I will just use the command line to fire off the job, and then monitor with the job progress code I found on the MS website.  This way I won't have to have 2 things running at the same time.  I can just use the code to set up the project, launch it, and then monitor it.

Now if I can only figure out how to call one of the node groups I have set up I'll be in business.  Any idea on how to do that?

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 5:21 PM
  • Hi,

What do you mean by saying " call one of the node groups "? Do you mean how to run jobs against a node group?

Michael

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 5:25 PM
  • I need to discover a way to include in my code which node group I want to use based on user input.  One of the inputs the user will need to supply via command line when launching the application will be if they are going to use resource group A, or resource group B.  I need to take this reply and use it in the code to be sure if they choose resource A they run on NodeGroup A, and if they choose resource B they run on NodeGroup B.  I have alread set up NodeGroupA and NodeGroupB on the cluster.
    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 5:42 PM
  • You can just specify node group when you submit a job, there are a lot ways to do it. This doc should be sufficient to get you going

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc972834(v=WS.10).aspx

Mihcael

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 5:52 PM
  • Thanks!
    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 6:08 PM