Can you back up one drive at a time on main PC? *first time WHS user* RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum.

Happy April!

First off, i would like to say that this is my first time using windows home server.. I took spare parts and put this together.

I know that the first time backup will take the longest since it has to establish a base first.

I have two drives on my primary computer. 1) OS drive is about 110GB and 2) storage drive is max 1TB, but used up 50% of it already.

so total of around 600GB is being backed up right now.

i would like to ask if I can configure backup to only C drive first, then when that is done, reconfigure to backup my Storage drive.. so that when i look back at history, it will show two backups (one for C and one for F).. so in case C dies or something, i can just use the one for C..

is that possible? or should not be recommended to do that. thanks!

Saturday, April 2, 2011 10:45 PM

All replies

• WHS does not work that way, when it backs up your system it is backing up your entire system.  However If you want you can selectively choose which folders to backup, like you might want to ignore your download folder if that folders contents changes a lot.

When WHS does subsequent backups it will compare the last backup with the current files on your system, and only copy the changes, so subsequent backups are much quicker.

If one of your drives failed then you should be able to just insert the restore CD, and restore the files/folders that were corrupted because of the drive failure.

Personally the way I use my system is that I have a smaller drive in my Desktop and Laptop, and I put all of my media on the server.  Then my server is where I put all of my large drives for storage.  

So in your case you may find that it's more efficient to leave your OS drive in your PC, move all of your media off of your storage drive, and save it on the server shares, then take that storage drive out of your PC, and add it to the server storage pool.  Once you've got that done you can turn on folder duplication, so that the server then has 2 copies of that folder (you need at least a 2 or 3 drive setup for this) 

Monday, April 4, 2011 12:16 AM
  • Jeffrey,
    As the previous poster replyed WHS backups don't work that way.
    Just select all drives for backup. Every time backup runs it will backup only the drive(s) changes creating a full "snapshot" of your system over time.

In case you need to restore you can choose to restore a single, a single partition, or the comple system.
    using the existing drive(s) or a replacement in case the original drive dies.
    - Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Monday, April 4, 2011 7:27 PM