WHS Evaluation to Retail Problem RRS feed

• Question

• I have a problem not noted here.

I was trying to do the upgrade using a USB. I had PP2 installed on the evaluation version but have the PP1 DVD if that makes any difference...

Started the install, it copied files across and eventually asked me to check that I had all the discs shown - it didn't because I have a Silicon Image SATA riser card installed on my IDE only mobo. Started my search by directing the dialog box to a USB stick with the driver on it but as I was jiggling about around the back of the PC I disturbed the power supply and the computer rebooted.

Now it doesn't matter whether I boot only from the install DVD, a USB stick I created or the hard drive, it always boots to the old eval version. It's like it doesn't recognise an install was in progress and is redirecting the DVD or USB boot to the already installed version every time.

Note that it never asked me at any time about reinstalling the server.

Does anyone have any idea how I get around this logic loop? I suspect there is a file on the hard drive somewhere which I can delete or alter which will prevent the DVD from seeing a half-installed version and start over but I'm too scared of losing data to try.

Any ideas
    Pushing buttons...randomly
    Monday, August 3, 2009 11:17 PM

Answers

I was trying to do the upgrade using a USB. I had PP2 installed on the evaluation version but have the PP1 DVD if that makes any difference...

Started the install, it copied files across and eventually asked me to check that I had all the discs shown - it didn't because I have a Silicon Image SATA riser card installed on my IDE only mobo. Started my search by directing the dialog box to a USB stick with the driver on it but as I was jiggling about around the back of the PC I disturbed the power supply and the computer rebooted.

Now it doesn't matter whether I boot only from the install DVD, a USB stick I created or the hard drive, it always boots to the old eval version. It's like it doesn't recognise an install was in progress and is redirecting the DVD or USB boot to the already installed version every time.

Does anyone have any idea how I get around this logic loop? I suspect there is a file on the hard drive somewhere which I can delete or alter which will prevent the DVD from seeing a half-installed version and start over but I'm too scared of losing data to try.

Any ideas
    Try formatting (and perhaps even deleting) the 20 GB OS partition on your primary drive by connecting it to another PC.
    • Marked as answer by Buttoneer Tuesday, August 4, 2009 11:26 PM
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 1:39 AM

All replies

Any ideas
    Try formatting (and perhaps even deleting) the 20 GB OS partition on your primary drive by connecting it to another PC.
    • Marked as answer by Buttoneer Tuesday, August 4, 2009 11:26 PM
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 1:39 AM
  • Hi Kariya21, thanks for the reply.  That all sounds very extreme to me.  Are you certain that this will not compromise the installation in anyway (i.e. put the shares at risk or the share file system)?  Can I start small and perhaps just delete a couple of files like perhaps the windows executable or will it need to be the whole drive?

I thought I could maybe try this using a Linux live disc to give me hard access to the drive rather than having to pull the thing apart.  I can't see how that wouldn't work but again perhaps you might be able to advise.

Tuesday, August 4, 2009 6:58 AM
  • I actually tried a live windows boot disk and it still went straight to the dodgy WHS evaluation version.  I set the BIOS to only boot from the CDROM but it must have taken a trigger from that and flipped across to the hard drive.  Dammit.

Tuesday, August 4, 2009 9:44 PM
  • Ok latest is that I used an updated boot disk with DOS4NTFS running.  This allowed me to use the DOS commands to 'C:' then 'cd\windows' and then 'del *.*' the part-installation away.  I have now reinserted the DVD and it offered me the option to reinstall the server software.  So I think I'm all done.

Ultimately Kariya21 your reply was close as damn it to the right answer so I'll mark it as the answer.  Do you win a prize?
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 11:26 PM