JSON Author Search Query RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using JSON to access the MAS API. I want to find a specific author and so am using the following request:

http://academic.research.microsoft.com/json.svc/search?AppId=[MyAppID]&AuthorQuery=[FirstName]+[LastName]&ResultObjects=Author&StartIdx=1&EndIdx=10

The problem I am having is that this returns a number of extraneous author names, of which there is no obvious connection to the author in question.

Could someone please tell me:
    1. Is this the appropriate way to search for a specific author?
    2. How to interpret the results, assuming this is the correct way to search?

Many thanks,
    Melanie

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 4:28 AM

All replies

• *BUMP*

Can anyone offer any suggestions on this please?

Sunday, July 1, 2012 3:12 AM
  • I am also having the same issue with my project. The interesting thing is that the search results are not sorted in the API, but are sorted in the web query. I have been trying to limit this by specifying the OrganizationID and the DomainID for the author and the wish was to get the correct author as the first hit when limiting the results to just one. However, with multiple cases, I found that a more dominant co-author is returned as the first hit from the API and the correct author is in the list at number 2 or 3. However, the correct author is suggested when a search is done on the web search limited by just the domain.

I can provide some examples if more details are needed. Is the API even doing any sorting of the relevance when a search is done?

Rasika

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 1:09 AM