Restore only partially works RRS feed

• Question

• My hard drive recently died so after getting a new one I used the one care restore tool.  I got back everything except about half of my email files.  I use Outlook express and am missing some addresses as well as some emails I had stored in various files under miscellaneous.  When I open up the files on my external hard drive (backup location) I see many zip files labeled for outlook but they won't transfer over.  I took everything in to a tech and all he did was scratch his head. I am not proficient at computer problems so any plain talk help or ideas would be appreciated.  TIA.
    Friday, June 4, 2010 3:41 PM

Answers

All replies

• To restore e-mail data first restore the backed up e-mail files to a folder on your desktop, then use the import function in Outlook Express to restore the e-mails.

Jim

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Friday, June 4, 2010 3:46 PM
  • I have unzipped all the files and tried to import but I keep getting an error message that no messages could be found or are in use by another file.  I originally had 14 folders that I stored various emails in.  When I initially ran the restore I got 6 back.  These six are the only ones that keep coming up.  Could the others be lost?
    Friday, June 4, 2010 4:08 PM
  • They should be there. It's just a matter of finding them. It might be best to contact support for help with finding those files. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

Jim

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Friday, June 4, 2010 4:20 PM
  • I have unzipped all the files and tried to import but I keep getting an error message that no messages could be found or are in use by another file.  I originally had 14 folders that I stored various emails in.  When I initially ran the restore I got 6 back.  These six are the only ones that keep coming up.  Could the others be lost?

Why are you unzipping the backup files? Use OneCare to restore the backup.

If OneCare is no longer installed, use the OneCare Restore Tool. http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecarebackupandrestore/thread/e5d686c8-762b-4b22-bc08-bfb93f911e57

Manually Unzipping the files is a last resort and makes things much more difficult, as you've found.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, June 7, 2010 12:23 PM