CRM 4 error message when attempting to re-assign account to another owner RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am encountering this error for some records when doing a re-assignment of owners.

"Error

An Error has occurred

Try this action again. If the problem continues, check the Microsoft Dynamics CRM community for solutions or contact your organization's Microsoft Dynamic CRM Administrator. Finally you can contact Microsoft Support."

I tried re-assigning again but still faced the same error.

Would really appreciate if someone can guide me on how to further troubleshoot this error.

Thanks,
    Christian
    Tuesday, January 8, 2008 2:07 AM

Answers

• It appears to be an issue with the user who you are trying to assign to.  Temporarily give the user Sys Admin role and see if you are able to assign the record to the user.  If that works, make a copy of the Sys Admin role and rename it.  Remove privileges that you do not want the user to have and assign the security role to the user.  There is most like a  problem with the user's current security role.
    Best Regards, Donna
    • Proposed as answer by Jim Glass Jr Monday, March 2, 2009 7:55 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Tuesday, March 10, 2009 8:42 PM
    Friday, February 27, 2009 1:46 PM

All replies

• The first thing I'd check is that the user(s) you are assigning the records to is enabled, has a license and is a member of a security role
    Tuesday, January 8, 2008 9:31 PM
  •  

I got the same error(when I assign this account to me). I even can not save any changes of this account.

Our CRM 4 is upgraded from CRM 3. Not all accounts can not be saved.

The error log after "show dev error" in webconfig

Server Error in '/' Application.

Specified cast is not valid.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.InvalidCastException: Specified cast is not valid.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[InvalidCastException: Specified cast is not valid.]
       Microsoft.Crm.BusinessEntities.AddressTrigger.Update(Guid id) +186
       Microsoft.Crm.BusinessEntities.TriggersExtension.ExecuteTriggers(BusinessEntity entity, ArrayList triggers, OperationType operationType) +628
       Microsoft.Crm.BusinessEntities.TriggersExtension.PostUpdateHandler(Object sender, ExtensionEventArgs e) +60
       Microsoft.Crm.BusinessEntities.PostUpdateEventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, ExtensionEventArgs e) +0
       Microsoft.Crm.BusinessEntities.BusinessProcessObject.Update(IBusinessEntity entity, ExecutionContext context) +349
       Microsoft.Crm.ObjectModel.AccountService.Update(IBusinessEntity entity, ExecutionContext context) +214

[TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.]
       System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner) +0
       System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner) +72
       System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks) +371
       System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture) +29
       System.Web.Services.Protocols.LogicalMethodInfo.Invoke(Object target, Object[] values) +131
       Microsoft.Crm.Extensibility.InternalOperationPlugin.Execute(IPluginExecutionContext context) +122
       Microsoft.Crm.Extensibility.PluginStep.Execute(PipelineExecutionContext context) +320
       Microsoft.Crm.Extensibility.Pipeline.Execute(PipelineExecutionContext context) +249
       Microsoft.Crm.Extensibility.MessageProcessor.Execute(PipelineExecutionContext context) +993
       Microsoft.Crm.Extensibility.InternalMessageDispatcher.Execute(PipelineExecutionContext context) +215
       Microsoft.Crm.Extensibility.ExternalMessageDispatcher.Execute(String messageName, Int32 primaryObjectTypeCode, Int32 secondaryObjectTypeCode, PropertyBag fields, CorrelationToken correlationToken, CallerOriginToken originToken, UserAuth userAuth, Guid callerId) +815
       Microsoft.Crm.Sdk.RequestBase.Process(Int32 primaryObjectTypeCode, Int32 secondaryObjectTypeCode, CorrelationToken correlationToken, CallerOriginToken originToken, UserAuth userAuth, Guid callerId) +81
       Microsoft.Crm.Sdk.RequestBase.Process(CorrelationToken correlationToken, CallerOriginToken originToken, UserAuth userAuth, Guid callerId) +178
       Microsoft.Crm.Sdk.CrmServiceInternal.Execute(RequestBase request, CorrelationToken correlationToken, CallerOriginToken originToken, UserAuth userAuth, Guid callerId) +384
       Microsoft.Crm.Sdk.InProcessCrmService.Execute(Object request) +1044
       Microsoft.Crm.Application.Platform.ServiceCommands.PlatformCommand.ExecuteInternal() +597
       Microsoft.Crm.Application.Platform.ServiceCommands.UpdateCommand.Execute() +14
       Microsoft.Crm.Application.Platform.EntityProxy.Update(Boolean performDuplicateCheck) +97
       Microsoft.Crm.Application.Platform.EntityProxy.Update() +6
       Microsoft.Crm.Application.Forms.AppForm.HandleFormEventAssign(Boolean gridRefreshCallbackAdded) +61
       Microsoft.Crm.Application.Forms.AppForm.RaiseDataEvent(FormEventId eventId) +1999
       Microsoft.Crm.Application.Forms.EndUserForm.Initialize(Entity entity) +56
       Microsoft.Crm.Application.Forms.CustomizableForm.Execute(Entity entity, String formType) +92
       Microsoft.Crm.Application.Forms.CustomizableForm.Execute(Entity entity) +11
       Microsoft.Crm.Web.SFA.AccountDetailPage.ConfigureForm() +203
       Microsoft.Crm.Application.Controls.AppUIPage.OnPreRender(EventArgs e) +29
       System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +86
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +2041

Thursday, January 10, 2008 6:23 AM
  •  

Hi Everyone,

I am getting the same error when trying to assign records and change a users business unit.

Code Snippet

An Error has occurred

Try this action again. If the problem continues, check the Microsoft Dynamics CRM community for solutions or contact your organization's Microsoft Dynamic CRM Administrator. Finally you can contact Microsoft Support."

I have gone and logged onto the CRM server as the deployment admin and still recieve the same issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

Matthew.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 6:15 AM
  • Ever get anywhere with that?  We have the same thing going on in a system upgraded from 1.2 to 3.0 to 4.0
    Friday, August 29, 2008 2:56 PM
  • Hi Christian,

Try taking a look at the event viewer in the CRM Server, there`s probably more information about this error there.

And a lot of this unknown errors are resolved with iisreset, although thats not such a pro* solution, it works.

Good luck,

Fred

Friday, August 29, 2008 5:12 PM
  • Hi all,

Did you find any solution to the problem. I am getting the same error message when reassigning an account record to another user.

Any Help!!!

Regards
    Cute Guy
    Cute
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 6:16 AM
  • download the diag tool and turn Dev errors on.  it should provide you with a more detailed error message.  There are several possible issues that the system will not allow you to assign a record to another user. 

First, is the Account record active?  Does the user who you are trying to assign to have an enabled license with a valid security role?  Does the user re-assigning the record have rights to re-assign?  Here is a link to the download tool.

http://blogs.msdn.com/benlec/archive/2008/03/04/crmdiagtool4-for-microsoft-crm-4-0-has-been-released.aspx
    Best Regards, Donna
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 7:08 PM
  •  Yes the account record is active. i am trying to assign the record to another user (Sales owner) using CRMAdmin credentials. But system is not allowing me assing the records to another user and gives me an error message saying that "The logged in user does not have access to view the record or perform the specific action on the record."

I have tries to get more information about the error message using the CRM Diag tool and have got the follwoing error :

crmCheck privilege failed. for a user (to whom we areassingin the record ) and the prvilegeid.

and again check reassinginment by giveing particular privileg to the user.

Please help.

Cute
    Friday, February 27, 2009 6:15 AM
  • It appears to be an issue with the user who you are trying to assign to.  Temporarily give the user Sys Admin role and see if you are able to assign the record to the user.  If that works, make a copy of the Sys Admin role and rename it.  Remove privileges that you do not want the user to have and assign the security role to the user.  There is most like a  problem with the user's current security role.
    Best Regards, Donna
    • Proposed as answer by Jim Glass Jr Monday, March 2, 2009 7:55 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Tuesday, March 10, 2009 8:42 PM
    Friday, February 27, 2009 1:46 PM
  • Don't know if you are still having this issue, but a potential solution is here : http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/crm/thread/9a256e32-02d6-4f8b-8cb1-0fbd4cf78b40?prof=required
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 1:31 PM
  • I had this exact problem, but for me it was a data problem, not a security issue. I posted a possible solution on a similar thread:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/crm/thread/9a256e32-02d6-4f8b-8cb1-0fbd4cf78b40?prof=required

Saturday, November 7, 2009 6:00 AM
  • Hi,

We just upgraded from CRM 3.0 to version 4.0. We have installed roll up 7 and 9. And we're seeing this problem too.

The user that is assigning the Account is already a system administrator. And the target user to assign the Account to is also a system administrator.. so this might not be a permission issue.

Run the query:

UPDATE QueueItemBase SET OrganizationId = (SELECT Organizationid FROM OrganizationBase) WHERE OrganizationId IS NULL

and update some data but still didn't fix the problems.

This query

select * from account where accountid not in (select parentid from customeraddress)

doesn't return any results for us.

I noticed that there are some Accounts that are successfully assigned to other users, and there are some that failed....

Can anyone please help me on this issue? Thanks in advanced,

Elizabeth K.

Monday, April 12, 2010 10:28 PM