none
Connecting a share without need for password or user name RRS feed

• Question

• Iam about to set up WHS in an office location where up to 6 systems running XP are connected to it. I need  one share on the WHS to be accessible from the client machines without needing username or password. (The staff will get fedup entering this info for a central public folder).

So far I have not been able to achieve this on either XP , Vista SP2 or Window 7 RC they all respond by asking for username and password. Guest acc is enabled without password and can be accesed by typing guest in login box. I followed the advice in the following post but it did not change the way shares are accessed.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/deff41ae-f363-4fd5-a51f-6043b79ac695

Sunday, June 28, 2009 2:29 AM

Answers

• That FAQ is applicable only to the situation where you're logged in locally as a user which you think should match a user on your server, but you get asked for a password anyway.

In your case, it's not clear to me why you don't just create users on your server that match each of your staff user accounts. That will let Windows Home Server security work as intended. If that's not an option for some reason, then you will need to have each user enter the guest account with no password once , and select the check box that indicates you want to remember the password. If you're using Windows XP Home on your client machines (which you should not be doing; there are a number of useful features in XP Professional that makes it a much more useful operating system in a business environment) you don't really have a choice. There is no option to save a password in that authentication window, so you're either going to have to create users on the server for your user community or your users will have to enter the Guest account each time they want access to a share.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 2:52 AM

All replies

• That FAQ is applicable only to the situation where you're logged in locally as a user which you think should match a user on your server, but you get asked for a password anyway.

In your case, it's not clear to me why you don't just create users on your server that match each of your staff user accounts. That will let Windows Home Server security work as intended. If that's not an option for some reason, then you will need to have each user enter the guest account with no password once , and select the check box that indicates you want to remember the password. If you're using Windows XP Home on your client machines (which you should not be doing; there are a number of useful features in XP Professional that makes it a much more useful operating system in a business environment) you don't really have a choice. There is no option to save a password in that authentication window, so you're either going to have to create users on the server for your user community or your users will have to enter the Guest account each time they want access to a share.
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 2:52 AM
  • Since making the post I seem to have come up with a solution it seems to work ok but are there any ramifications to this solution from the security point of view ?

type RUN then userpasswords2 on client

choose advanced  then manage passwords

Then depending upon the os the client is running you will see a differant dialog:

Windows 7 calls it a Credential Manager

Vista and XP  call it Stored User Names and Passwords

from here just click ADD and enter the server name a username and password of and account on WHS click Ok.

Log off and back on again and you can access the shares without user name and password

Iam running XP proffesional on all  the Society's systems and security is an issue as with  deal with medical /social  issues arising from HIV / AIDS

Thanks for he quick reply
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 3:24 AM
  • This is the kind of senario I have in mind On WHS create a share called CENTRAL PUBLIC and a user called Public Account with a password

Set the permission on the CENTRAL PUBLIC share to only allow the user "Public Account" full access

Then on client machines set auto login to the CENTRAL PUBLIC share as in the above post.

Does that make sense ?
    • Edited by colinkhalid Sunday, June 28, 2009 3:35 AM typo
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 3:30 AM

The above solution is the one that works the best (user names matching on Client and Server), my attemts below work ok  in a house hold situation but not in an office !
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 4:36 AM
  • Your solution is, effectively, a more complex version of the first thing I proposed, to simply cache credentials.

However, if you simply create users on your server (maximum 10) for all your potential users, and align passwords on clients and the server, they won't need to cache any special credentials at all. This is how Windows Home Server is designed to work.
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 12:40 PM