syncrhonizing content for other users on the same machine RRS feed

• Question

• In our small office we have been using Live Mesh very successfully to keep our shared folcers updated on three machines. We use Live Mesh instead of a local synching solution such as SyncToy because some of the machines are laptops which we use on the road. Currently, I created the folder which is then shared by two other users with their own LiveIDs.

I would like to take the concept further and I would like to apply she synching to more folders: I want to replicate the three users on all three machines and then synch all of their data folders (My Documents, Music, Videos, Desktop) on all three machines. This would have the advantage that I would only need to back up the content on one machine once a week and I would not need to back up each machine separately.

To do this I would like to do the synching with only one LiveID, but I have a few questions about this procedure:

1) Can an "admin user" set up sharing for folders on other users folders on each machine (i.e. my account on each machine would set up sync for folders on other profiles)? Any potential problem with that?

2) If the admin is not logged in, will live mesh run in the background and still update its foulders and the ones of the other users?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Sunday, December 19, 2010 3:08 PM

Answers

• Are you referring to Live Mesh beta - www.mesh.com - or Windows Live Mesh 2011, part of Windows Live Essentials? This forum is for Live Mesh beta, which will shut down at the end of March, 2011. 

For discussion of the new Windows Live Mesh (formerly Sync), (as well as the released Live Sync version) go here:

http://windowslivehelp.com/forums.aspx?productid=24

In either case, I don't recommend doing what you propose. As far as I know, the Desktop will not sync properly due to the fact that System files can't be synchronized.

Both Live Mesh beta and Windows Live Mesh sync based on the user being logged in. With a variety of users, you'd want each user to have their own LiveID to sync their data between machines. As you've noted, this means that data won't sync unless the user is logged in on both machines. I suppose that there are ways around this by having a single machine being logged in with a LiveID that "owns" all of the folders for all users and each other LiveID would share only its folders with the primary LiveID. That would still leave open the chance of conflicts hapening, depending on the frequency of update by each user on other machines.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, December 20, 2010 1:12 PM