Imported "theme" from Windows Live Spaces into WLW on Win7x64 has double-wide & fixed width

• When I configure a new "Windows Live Spaces" account in WLW 14.0.8089.726 (running on Win7x64), it pulls down the theme of my Space however it presents a layout that is TWICE AS WIDE as it should be and this is a fixed width:  Changing the WLW window size does nothing to change the layout.  This means that content that is typed does not word wrap:  It just continues far off the viewable area of the WLW window unless I expand the window to full screen.

Note however that when the content is published, it looks just fine.  Windows Live Spaces word wraps the WLW published content and everything looks great.  It's just tremendously annoying to use WLW now because I have to conform to it's extremely wide page area instead of something more realistically narrow.  And since it forcibly set to a large width (something like 1200 pixels) it's obviously no longer "WYSIWYG".  I can edit without the theme but I really prefer to use the theme because that's part of what make WLW so great.

I don't know what the issue might be but it exists on every Windows Live Space blog I have configured in WLW (I have 3) so I doubt it's a server side issue. 

I never had this problem on Windows Vista 32-bit.  I've tried this now on 3 different Windows 7 x64 computers with the exact same results.

Yes, I've tried deleting all the themes from the cache and redownloading them all.
    Yes, I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling WLW 14.
    Yes, I've tried other people's Spaces sites.

Again, this seems to be very specific to:
    - Windows 7 x64
    - Windows Live Spaces

Any hints on what I should do?

Tuesday, March 09, 2010 7:50 PM

All replies

• Windows Live Writer doesn't always detect the themes correctly, and its terribly irritating to come across this issue. But you SHOULD still be able to use Windows Live Writer with those themes; you just need to make some manual adjustments. I've an article that are some options for Windows Live Writer users to try to help them with their theme issues.

Hope this helps.

• Edited by lehenryjr Monday, March 22, 2010 10:58 PM
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 2:30 AM
  • This admittedly gives me hope.  I really appreciate the comment because this stuff is NOT documented well anywhere.  The move of Windows Live to forums for support is a really exciting one because it's the first time I believe problems will get the exposure they need to 'rise to the top', while also creating a paper trail of documentation for people to search & archive.

Yes, WLW still works for posting to Windows Live Spaces despite having issues pulling in the theme correctly.  And yes, it's clear that WLW needs work against even Microsoft's own properties.  I will parse through your post and see if I can make a simple adjustment to the width of the theme to make WLW more user friendly for Windows Live Spaces users that are also using Windows7x64.

Again, much appreciated.  I'll post my results.
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 11:14 PM
  • Yeah, so that didn't work.  The default page used is definitely not where the page dimensions exists for editing posts using the theme of one's Windows Live Spaces blog.  I started hunting down the downloaded Windows Live Spaces theme as well as the .HTM file for my Windows Live Spaces account (which I assumed was one of two directories with GUIDs as names. 

I made the appropriate <BODY WIDTH=...> modification replacing the original WIDTH setting with something more palatable, to no avail.  Editing a blog post using "Edit using Theme" selected still results in an edit space width that is statically set to something like 1200 pixels wide.  So clearly I'm missing something. 

Monday, March 15, 2010 7:38 PM
  • Well, I think that you're really going to be looking for the 'custom' templates anyway.

Admittedly, it's not as easy as it should be, but you can edit the templates for each blog. You've to muck around in there and get your fingers wet. And sadly, a clear cut example can't be made because each template/theme is different.

Just trying to help...

Monday, March 22, 2010 11:01 PM