Vista says i need a new product key after replacing my DVD drive! RRS feed

• Question

• I've had vista installed on my computer pretty much since vista first came out.  I recently installed SP1.

1) about 2 weeks ago, i replaced my motherboard (so new processor, new ram, new graphics card).  Everything fine.
    2) about a day later, i then replaced the hard drive, again everything ok.
    3) tonight i replaced the dvd drive (from an ide to a sata) and vista says i MUST purchase a new product key within 3 days.

What gives?
    Monday, April 7, 2008 5:08 AM

Answers

•  

Hello mikeinaustin,

I belive that Vista is telling you that you that you have 3 days to Reactivate. Windows (both XP and Vista) will ask to be re-activated when they sense a significant hardware change. This is normal and expected behavior.

You can reactivate over the Internet or by Phone. I have provided the instuctions to Activate by Phone:

Click the Start button, and type in "slui.exe 4" in the search field and then press the "Enter" key. This will bring up the Activate by Phone dialog window. Follow the steps provided by the window. The phone activation process should only take about 6 minutes.

If you are unable to re-activate or if re-activating does not resolve your issue, please create a New Forum Thread, download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue" click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into the new thread.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 11:34 PM

All replies

•  

Hello mikeinaustin,

I belive that Vista is telling you that you that you have 3 days to Reactivate. Windows (both XP and Vista) will ask to be re-activated when they sense a significant hardware change. This is normal and expected behavior.

You can reactivate over the Internet or by Phone. I have provided the instuctions to Activate by Phone:

Click the Start button, and type in "slui.exe 4" in the search field and then press the "Enter" key. This will bring up the Activate by Phone dialog window. Follow the steps provided by the window. The phone activation process should only take about 6 minutes.

If you are unable to re-activate or if re-activating does not resolve your issue, please create a New Forum Thread, download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue" click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into the new thread.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 11:34 PM

• I try that slui.exe 4 on my Vista and don't get anything what the H is the phone # what gives?????????????/

Friday, June 6, 2008 12:59 AM