OCS R2 Edge Federated Users - Some IM messages lost RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I have OCS 2007 R2 STD on Win2008, with remote access and federation in place, apparently working fine, I can add and see federated users presence.
    Fed. users can also add me and see my presence.
    When a fed user starts an IM conversation with me, I only receive the first 3 or 4 IM messages, after that I don't receive anything else.
    Fed. user gets this error each time he types a message for me: "This message was not delivered to <user> because there was no response from the server:"
    Sometimes I also receive a message preview on the tray but it doesn't appear on the conversation window!
    I activated logging on the edge server, sometimes this error appears: "CONNECTION:Receive operation on the connection failed, result code 0x80072746 WSAECONNRESET" from local edge to remote edge.
    I'm a bit puzzled with this, can anyone give some ideas on how to troubleshoot/solve this issue???
    Thanks!
    Monday, September 28, 2009 11:29 PM

All replies

• Please check your SChannel logs on your System Logs.

Please capture network traffic on your Access Edge Server(s) and then see the certificates and routing. I t sounds like the server is resetting connections on the SSL/TLS layer
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 3:38 AM
  • Hi Sri,
    nothing appears in the SChannel logs.
    Using logging tool at edge server, frequently I get the following inbound messages:

Message-Type: response
    Start-Line: SIP/2.0 487 Request terminated
    Start-Line: SIP/2.0 408 Request Timeout
    Start-Line: SIP/2.0 504 Server time-out
    Start-Line: SIP/2.0 481 Call Leg/Transaction Does Not Exist

LogType: diagnostic
    Severity: warning
    Text: Message or one of its headers caused SIP transaction processing error
    Result-Code: 0xc3e93c09 PE_E_TRANSACTION_DOES_NOT_EXIST

Using wireshark, I get a lot of this:

TLSv1    [TCP Retransmission] Application Data
    TCP    [TCP Previous segment lost] [TCP segment of a reassembled PDU]
    TLSv1    [TCP Out-Of-Order] Application Data[Illegal Segments]
    TCP    [TCP Dup ACK 101#1] 4808 > https [ACK] Seq=9211 Ack=7367 Win=17640 Len=0 SLE=9815 SRE=11075
    TLSv1    [TCP Retransmission] Ignored Unknown Record

I was suspecting network problems, so I used netcat on port 443/5061 of edge external nic to upload some files. I had no problems there, so I'm back where I started.
    Maybe it's something with certificates? I'm using thawte.
    Is there another way to further troubleshoot this?
    Thanks
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 11:33 PM
  • Did you ever figure this out?  I'm running into very similar client-end symptoms on one of my deployments as well.

Fred Nielsen
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 4:20 AM
  • Problem was located at the internal network. Analising the switch logs we found many errors. Solution: forced both the switch ports and Edge NICs to 100FDX. Everything started working perfectly after that.
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 10:32 AM