none
Windows XP Professional - unable to activate after reimaging PC

Question

• I recently reimaged and old PC.  After reinstalling Windows XP Professional, I was unable to activate Windows.  While I used the product key on the side of the computer, it stated that I did not have a valid version of Windows running.  Prior to reimaging the machine, Windows XP was running without any product activation issues. 
    Thursday, May 05, 2011 4:26 PM

Answers

• Hello sfls7372,

I have to assume that "reimaged" really means reinstalling because most individual computers users would not have the software or knowledge to make an image.

What is the exact error message you receive?  Do you get it when trying to enter the product key into the Activation Wizard, or does the Activation Wizard accept the key but then when you try to activate, you get the error message?

Is the product listed on the Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) Windows Pro, Home, or Media Center?  (Don't post the product key.)

In order to receive the best support, we request all users initially download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Run" several times to download and start the Utility.  When asked, click the "Continue" button.  When the utility completes its run, click the "Copy" button, then come back here and paste the report into your post.

Thursday, May 05, 2011 7:27 PM

All replies

• Hello sfls7372,

I have to assume that "reimaged" really means reinstalling because most individual computers users would not have the software or knowledge to make an image.

What is the exact error message you receive?  Do you get it when trying to enter the product key into the Activation Wizard, or does the Activation Wizard accept the key but then when you try to activate, you get the error message?

Is the product listed on the Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) Windows Pro, Home, or Media Center?  (Don't post the product key.)

In order to receive the best support, we request all users initially download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Run" several times to download and start the Utility.  When asked, click the "Continue" button.  When the utility completes its run, click the "Copy" button, then come back here and paste the report into your post.

Thursday, May 05, 2011 7:27 PM
  • No reply from the Original Poster.

Issue is assumed to be resolved.

Darin MS
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 9:20 PM