Can I/How can I verify my Windows 7 Product Key? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a laptop and recently the hard drive failed. I've ordered a new hard drive and will need to install Windows once I install the hard drive. However the activation code on the bottom of my laptop has faded significantly. I was able to decipher a majority of the code, all except for one letter, though I have a good guess at what it might be. Is there any way that I can verify my product key before reaching the Windows installation process?

Friday, November 18, 2011 11:04 AM

Answers

• "psidragon" wrote in message news:9c6508b3-3bf0-424f-9aa7-6b085a08ddd7...

I have a laptop and recently the hard drive failed. I've ordered a new hard drive and will need to install Windows once I install the hard drive. However the activation code on the bottom of my laptop has faded significantly. I was able to decipher a majority of the code, all except for one letter, though I have a good guess at what it might be. Is there any way that I can verify my product key before reaching the Windows installation process?

You don’t need the code to be able to install it.
    If you’re using the manufacturer’s Recovery disks for the install, it comes with a Key already embedded that will work on your PC (assuming it’s the correct disk.
    If you’re using a different disk, don’t enter ANY key during the install – it will enter the Default (Keyless install) Key itself, and you then have 30 days to find the right Key and enter that :)

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, November 18, 2011 10:38 PM
    Friday, November 18, 2011 1:48 PM

All replies

• "psidragon" wrote in message news:9c6508b3-3bf0-424f-9aa7-6b085a08ddd7...

I have a laptop and recently the hard drive failed. I've ordered a new hard drive and will need to install Windows once I install the hard drive. However the activation code on the bottom of my laptop has faded significantly. I was able to decipher a majority of the code, all except for one letter, though I have a good guess at what it might be. Is there any way that I can verify my product key before reaching the Windows installation process?

You don’t need the code to be able to install it.
    If you’re using the manufacturer’s Recovery disks for the install, it comes with a Key already embedded that will work on your PC (assuming it’s the correct disk.
    If you’re using a different disk, don’t enter ANY key during the install – it will enter the Default (Keyless install) Key itself, and you then have 30 days to find the right Key and enter that :)

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, November 18, 2011 10:38 PM
    Friday, November 18, 2011 1:48 PM
  • I've found a good scanner and photo/image manipulation software useful in decoding the writing on worn service tags and license keys on the underside of laptops. As by playing around with a high quality image you can often turn very light grey into light grey ie. sufficient to read. Obviously once you've done this I'd advise printing out and filing your enhanced scanned versions along with your annotations. You may also wish to cover the actual tags themselves with quality clear plastic film so as to slow further degradation.

Experience has taught me to do this on all new systems, especially if they are to be used by children and to put my own cross-reference tag in the battery bay or some place little fingers won't find in a hurry.

Friday, November 18, 2011 9:54 PM