How to protect the main device from deletions? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm using Live Mesh and it's very promising.

My goal is to synchronize my whole personal "documents" folder, from my WIndows Vista install on my desktop computer, with the Virtual Mesh Desktop, and perhaps later, with my Windows Mobile Smartphone.

But before I go forward, I guss I must take some precautions.

As my Home desktop PC is my main work place, I would like the files to be uploaded on the Virtual Desktop, but I wouldn't like the Virtual Desktop to delete files or folders on my home PC.

How do I set up this?

Also, the Mesh has 5 Gb of available space. If the "documents" folder on my home PC has 10Gb of content, the Virtual Desktop will take only 5 of them. Then what happens? Will the Virtual Desktop delete on the home PC all datas it doesn't have?

Thanks for any insight,

David

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 11:24 AM

Answers

• Hi David,

I'll try to run through in order:

1. As soon as a file is synced to the Live Desktop, and is deleted from there, it will be deleted on all end machines. Currently there is no way to change this, since you can't define different types of access per machine (rather per-user only).

2. My understanding is that once you run out of space, you'll only see placeholder files in the mesh (grayed out icons) - and that it will, under no circumstance (apart from a bug) delete your files due to low space in the cloud.

Note: Live Mesh is still in beta, so trusting really, really important files to it is probably not the best idea (although it has never lost anything for me), especially if you're worried about deletions filtering down to multiple computers. I'd set up a small test directory in your documents folder and test using that for some documents, and see you how go.

Hope that helps,

Oren

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 1:27 PM

All replies

• Hi David,

I'll try to run through in order:

1. As soon as a file is synced to the Live Desktop, and is deleted from there, it will be deleted on all end machines. Currently there is no way to change this, since you can't define different types of access per machine (rather per-user only).

2. My understanding is that once you run out of space, you'll only see placeholder files in the mesh (grayed out icons) - and that it will, under no circumstance (apart from a bug) delete your files due to low space in the cloud.

Note: Live Mesh is still in beta, so trusting really, really important files to it is probably not the best idea (although it has never lost anything for me), especially if you're worried about deletions filtering down to multiple computers. I'd set up a small test directory in your documents folder and test using that for some documents, and see you how go.

Hope that helps,

Oren

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 1:27 PM
  • Would love for this functionality (rules per device) to be added. 
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 11:17 PM
  • Great suggestion.  Please use this link to vote on how important this feature would be to you:

https://connect.microsoft.com/LiveMesh/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=406530 

And remember to vote on all the suggestions posted at http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/LiveMesh/thread/7ec4f88b-9caa-4b25-aa8d-f7ccc3db63c8

It is your feedback that improves Live Mesh!

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 11:51 PM
  • has this feature been added to Livemesh's latest version? When is the voting time finished?
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 6:52 PM
  • has this feature been added to Livemesh's latest version? When is the voting time finished?

You can continue to vote as we have not seen this added yet and don't know when the next beta release will be.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 7:23 PM