SSL Domain Validation Certificate ? RRS feed

• Question

• Attempting to setup Domain name on WHS 2011 RC.  Domain is GODaddy registered name.  I was successful in setting this domain name up on both WHS V1 and the Vail Beta.

I am not successful with 2011 RC.  I am directed to GoDaddy.com where the log in attempts to sell me a SSL Domain Validation Certificate for only $49 per year.  When I don't buy this certificate and return to finish the domain setup, it fails and the error message does suggest that a certicate may be needed.

The little bit of info found searching the Microsoft WHS 2011 web site has a one sentenance also indicating that a "certificate" is required.

Questions:

1.  Must I have a SSL Domain Validation Certificate to successful setup a godaddy registered domain?

2.  Has anyone found a workaround or had similiar issue?

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 7:26 AM

Answers

• Hi Folks,

James, the use of vanity domain names was not supported in WHS v1, unless you used it manually.  We only supported the 3rd level domain names.

For Vail, or WHS 2011, you MUST purchase a certificate if you wish to use a vanity domain name from our partners.  You must do this at least once.  If you have purchased a certificate, and are simply re-installing, just choose that you have your own domain name, and when you launch the partners website (in this case GoDaddy's) just close the website and finish the wizard.  GoDaddy will re-issue the same certificate that you had before.

Hope this helps.

Sean

Monday, February 14, 2011 7:28 PM

All replies

• I noticed this as well.  I'm not sure if this is the best workaround but I set WHS 2011 RC up with my Microsoft domain name and then just forwarded my GoDaddy domain to my Microsoft domain.  It works and you can mask the Microsoft domain name if you want.

Friday, February 11, 2011 2:31 PM
  • Hi Folks,

James, the use of vanity domain names was not supported in WHS v1, unless you used it manually.  We only supported the 3rd level domain names.

For Vail, or WHS 2011, you MUST purchase a certificate if you wish to use a vanity domain name from our partners.  You must do this at least once.  If you have purchased a certificate, and are simply re-installing, just choose that you have your own domain name, and when you launch the partners website (in this case GoDaddy's) just close the website and finish the wizard.  GoDaddy will re-issue the same certificate that you had before.

Hope this helps.

Sean

Monday, February 14, 2011 7:28 PM