Money 2011 password retrieval for deceased friend RRS feed

• Question

• I'm helping a friend whose spouse passed away a few weeks ago and he has no idea what the password is for their MS Money 2011 program.  Any ideas on how he can get access? I know it's a major security issue...maybe send the death certificate for verification to Microsoft? Get someone to hack into the program? I'm at a complete loss on how to help him and he desperately needs to get into the program to pay bills and take care of financial issues.

Thanks for any suggestions
    Tuesday, July 24, 2012 3:24 PM

All replies

• No idea? You are very unlikely to get in. On the other hand, if you study other passwords, you may notice some pattern. If he used Firefox, you could check the record of password for other sites, and maybe see a pattern or trend.

Note there are two kinds of password: Live ID, where Money asks for an email address and a password both, and a conventional password, where Money only asks for a password.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/money/thread/08e62e5d-ad65-41ef-a28c-b3cbad612143 would be your  best hope.

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 6:13 PM
  • Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, she was very security-conscious and prided herself on the complexity of her passwords. As for other passwords -- we've got nothing.  He didn't write anything down so there aren't any hard copies to refer to. Have you ever heard of "MS Money Password Recovery" shareware?  http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,168112-order,4/description.html. I wonder if it my provide a solution...

Again, thanks for the help

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 6:47 PM
  • Note on MSMoney version that "MS Money Password Recovery" supports: 2000 and
    2001 which, BTW, sunrrise is also capable of showing. Though I did not
    "expose" that feature because I did not think that anyone still using
    2000 and 2001 ;-(.

** Bias opinion alert **, whatever other tool
    out there will likely to implement the same "algrorithm" as sunriise.

---

MS Money Password Recovery will display lost passwords to
    password-protected .mny files. All passwords are decrypted instantly.
    This program works for .mny files saved in MS Money 2000 and 2001.

---

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 7:10 PM
  • I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean. Can you elaborate?
    Tuesday, July 24, 2012 7:17 PM
  • Just note that there is no Money 2011.  The lastversion of Money was Money Plus (and subsequently Money Sunset--the same version but not requiring activation),  This was the version following Money 2007 (so logically it would have been 2008, but was named Plus instead).  Not that this will help much, but it is good to be precise in what you are asking.
    Tuesday, July 24, 2012 8:09 PM
  • I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean. Can you elaborate?

The software you mentioned http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,168112-order,4/description.html will ONLY work for msmoney 2000 and 2001.

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 8:44 PM