Driver Problems with ASUS M3A78-EM AMD 780G based motherboard RRS feed

• Question

• The recent price drop finally pushed me over the edge to set up a WHS box.  I decided to go with an Asus M3A78-EM 780G chipset based board and 4580e processor after doing a bit of searching and seeing some posts of people running this setup with WHS.

After successfully installing the OS, I am having problems getting the drivers installed.  I disabled things like sound in the bios, but I so far have been unable to figure out how to get network drivers installed.  I looked for Server 2003 drivers for this board and chipset on both Asus's and AMD's sites, but have had no luck.  I think I got the main chipset drivers to install from the XP driver pack found on Asus's site, but still haven't worked out what to use for things like network and video (more concerned about the former vs the later). 

Can anybody point me to the right drivers to use, and maybe instructions for installing if they have to be forced in?  I searched around here and google and keep running across people using this board but have had no luck with info on my problem :)

Thanks.
    Saturday, November 15, 2008 3:24 PM

Answers

• Finally got the driver setup to run.  Just one of those weird things apparently.

• Marked as answer by Andy Sexton Sunday, November 16, 2008 3:06 PM
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 3:05 PM

All replies

• Hello,
    cant tell you about the "right" drivers for your system. But if you have no Windows Server 2003 drivers and the single driver packages (for all components) for Windows XP rejects to install, you can right click the setup program, select Properties, go to the Compatibility tab and select compatibility with Windows XP. Maybe after that the setup program will run.
    Also right click any downloaded driver package, select Properties and click the Allow button (if visible) to unblock access to downloaded files.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Saturday, November 15, 2008 10:48 PM
  • Thanks.  Unfortunately even changing the compatibility mode to XP still pops up an error saying it's the wrong version of windows when I run the Asus driver setup exe.

I can run the south bridge driver setup, but it doesn't seem to install the network drivers.
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 1:15 AM
  • Finally got the driver setup to run.  Just one of those weird things apparently.

• Marked as answer by Andy Sexton Sunday, November 16, 2008 3:06 PM
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 3:05 PM
  • How did you finally get the drivers to work; I'm having the same problem with the network drivers and 2 of the 5 on-board SATA ports do not seem to work.
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 5:54 AM
  • I think I just finally found the right packages for everything.  I had assumed at one point IIRC that the NIC drivers were with the chipset driver pack, but that was not true, they were in a different download.

I haven't updated any of them manually since and everything except the AHCI driver seems fine now.  I've never really looked into fixing that as in the past getting into that mess is not worth the effort to me :)

Sorry I can't be of more help.  I just used XP drivers off the Asus site.
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 8:41 PM