Validation key problems with TabletPC Edition RRS feed

• Question

• I have HP's Tablet PC.

Few weeks ago I have hdd failure, and all data on my HDD was gone.
    The only copy of my Windows XP Tablet PC Edition was on recovery partition and was lost.

I try re-install Windows from other, non-tablet CD (from my desktop PC) using my legally own product key from TabletPC's COA, but this installation refuses this key with message that it is invalid.

After few trys I read about a PID in setupp.ini file, so I try change it, but without success.

Moreover, few months ago before HDD data was lost I play with some key-readers software and I discover that installed version of Windows TabletPC (recovered from oryginal HP's recovery partition) is registered with other key that is printed on COA!
    Anyone can explain this? Why key on sticker differs with key used in Windows from recovery partition?
    If I try to install new Windows installation shoud I try to register it with sticker key or second key retrieved from previous installation of Windows TabletPC?

(btw second key doesn't validate with new installation too)

What I can do?

COA data:
    Windows XP Professional Tablet PC Edition HP

Friday, May 11, 2007 11:17 AM

Answers

• TabletPC User,

Your best option for a number of reasons is to contact HP to see if they can sell you Recovery CDs/DVDs for your exact model of HP tablet.  It's probable that the HP computer came from HP with a pestering utility that urged you to use the utility to generate a set of recovery CDs---did you not do that?

In order to install and activate an installation of XP using non-HP media, you would have to acquire a genuine MS systembuilder/OEM XP Tablet Edition CDROM.  These are not nearly as commonly available as genuine MS CDs for Home, Pro, and Media Center editions. 

It is fully expected that the Product Key used on an original HP installation of XP will be different from the Product Key that is on the CoA affixed to the computer.  The installed Product Key is the key used on the HP master image that is deployed to and installed on thousands of HP computers every day.  The PK on the COA is a unique PK that can be used to telephonically activate a replacement installation of XP on the computer if it becomes necessary to install XP onto the computer without using the HP recovery CD.

Friday, May 11, 2007 3:51 PM

All replies

• TabletPC User,

Your best option for a number of reasons is to contact HP to see if they can sell you Recovery CDs/DVDs for your exact model of HP tablet.  It's probable that the HP computer came from HP with a pestering utility that urged you to use the utility to generate a set of recovery CDs---did you not do that?

In order to install and activate an installation of XP using non-HP media, you would have to acquire a genuine MS systembuilder/OEM XP Tablet Edition CDROM.  These are not nearly as commonly available as genuine MS CDs for Home, Pro, and Media Center editions. 

It is fully expected that the Product Key used on an original HP installation of XP will be different from the Product Key that is on the CoA affixed to the computer.  The installed Product Key is the key used on the HP master image that is deployed to and installed on thousands of HP computers every day.  The PK on the COA is a unique PK that can be used to telephonically activate a replacement installation of XP on the computer if it becomes necessary to install XP onto the computer without using the HP recovery CD.

Friday, May 11, 2007 3:51 PM
  • Thanks for explanation.

Best regards
    Sunday, May 13, 2007 3:51 AM
  • Tablet PC User,

You're welcome!

Sunday, May 13, 2007 11:52 PM
  • "you would have to acquire a genuine MS systembuilder/OEM XP Tablet Edition CDROM."

mister IT from the docks can you get me one please????

• Proposed as answer by calita1 Saturday, October 13, 2012 12:22 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Noel D PatonEditor Sunday, October 14, 2012 11:42 AM
    Saturday, October 13, 2012 12:21 AM
  • You will have to attempt to source one yourself - note that Torrent downlods may be unsafe due to modifications. You should attempt to borrow a hologrammed one (you can them make a copy of it)

You may also be able to still purchase Recovery disks from your manufacturer (unlikely, but they may have disks available).

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth

Thread locked
    Sunday, October 14, 2012 11:45 AM