Can't Restore Using "Restore CD" RRS feed

• Question

• Hello:

I have the original WHS (not 2011) and this is the first time I had one of my client computer hard drives go bad, so I wanted to do a complete restore.  The restore process could not find the Home Server, as shown below:

(1) I copied the drivers for the dead client computer from the WHS backup (using a different computer) to a USB drive
    (2) I installed a new blank hard drive in the client computer
    (3) I booted the dead client computer from the Restore CD for WHS
    (4) I directed it to the USB to install the drivers, and it said it successfully installed the drivers
    (5) Then the restore software tried to automatically locate the server
    (6) It couldn't find the server (yet I know it was fine because I saw the server from another computer on the same network)
    (7) Then I tried the Advanced Network restore.  I entered my server name, "logicserver" and it came back with this message:

A network error has occurred - Please verify that your network connection is active and that your windows home server is powered on.

I believe I did everything right... any suggestions?

Regards,

Rich Locus, Logicwurks, LLC

http://www.logicwurks.com

Thursday, January 10, 2013 1:01 AM

Answers

• Did you use 32-bit network drivers? The recovery environment is 32-bit and needs them whatever the system you are trying to restore.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by RichLocus Thursday, January 10, 2013 4:09 AM
    Thursday, January 10, 2013 1:45 AM
  • Hello:

I have the original WHS (not 2011) and this is the first time I had one of my client computer hard drives go bad, so I wanted to do a complete restore.  The restore process could not find the Home Server, as shown below:

(1) I copied the drivers for the dead client computer from the WHS backup (using a different computer) to a USB drive
    (4) I directed it to the USB to install the drivers, and it said it successfully installed the drivers
    (6) It couldn't find the server (yet I know it was fine because I saw the server from another computer on the same network)
    (7) Then I tried the Advanced Network restore.  I entered my server name, "logicserver" and it came back with this message:

A network error has occurred - Please verify that your network connection is active and that your windows home server is powered on.

Regards,

go get the vista 32bit drivers for the pc you are trying to restore... put it on an usb key and load it during the restore.  This is common and confusing.  But whs restore cd is based on the vista code.
    Thursday, January 10, 2013 2:45 AM

All replies

• Did you use 32-bit network drivers? The recovery environment is 32-bit and needs them whatever the system you are trying to restore.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Thursday, January 10, 2013 1:45 AM
  • Hello:

Regards,

go get the vista 32bit drivers for the pc you are trying to restore... put it on an usb key and load it during the restore.  This is common and confusing.  But whs restore cd is based on the vista code.
    Thursday, January 10, 2013 2:45 AM
  • Thanks to you both for your answers.  I looked at the type of network card (which shows in the Restore CD initial screens), downloaded a 32-bit version, put in on a USB, and wha-la!!  My stress level just went back to normal.... Thanks for saving my day (and countless days of work to get my system back).

• Edited by RichLocus Thursday, January 10, 2013 4:10 AM
    Thursday, January 10, 2013 3:49 AM