Hardware causing validation issues RRS feed

• Question

• I have had Windows Media Edition installed on my pc for a few months now. I have upgraded my pc and reinstalled. Since then my graphics card died on me and had to be replaced. Now validation is telling me that I have no more validation attempts left and that I need to get a new validation key. The problem is that when I call the number and enter my product id key I am told that I cannot get it validated because I have Windows installed on 2 computers.

I would like to know how I go about fixing this as the validation line was all automated with not even the option of getting a customer representative.

I live in the UK.

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 9:05 AM

Answers

• Hi Thantoes,

Small correction, every place you wrote Validation, it should say Activation.

Validation = Windows Genuine Advantage

Activation = Product Activation

Your specific issue is with Product Activation. My suggestion is to try the Activate by Phone method, but this time, listen for the option to talk to a live person. The agent will ask you a few question to confirm that you are not using the key on more then one computer. Once this is confirmed, they will provide you with a code to Activate your Windows.'

If this does not resolve your issue, please follow the steps that Dan has posted above.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Program Manager

------------------------------------------

All Users: Please go to http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1255325&SiteID=25 before posting a question.

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 7:35 PM

All replies

• Thantoes,

What upgrades did you to to your computer?

Also, please follow these steps:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 1:29 PM
  • Hi Thantoes,

Small correction, every place you wrote Validation, it should say Activation.

Validation = Windows Genuine Advantage

Activation = Product Activation

Your specific issue is with Product Activation. My suggestion is to try the Activate by Phone method, but this time, listen for the option to talk to a live person. The agent will ask you a few question to confirm that you are not using the key on more then one computer. Once this is confirmed, they will provide you with a code to Activate your Windows.'

If this does not resolve your issue, please follow the steps that Dan has posted above.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Program Manager

All Users: Please go to http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1255325&SiteID=25 before posting a question.

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 7:35 PM
  • Well I finally managed to call a service representative and I have to say that I am very unimpressed.

The long and the short of it is that because I apparently have a "system builders" version of Windows media Edition (which I bought online from Ebuyer.com) and because I stupidly built my own system, I will recieve no help at all from Microsoft, no activation keys, no nothing. All I was told was to contact the manufacturer. Now who is that since i built the pc from scratch? Certainly the store where I bought the version of windows wont help me as they generally have a policy of not helping when it comes to software ("you should have read the specs") and they have a policy of not allowing people to return software.

So lets recap my list of problems.

1. Windows tells me I have changed my hardware when I havent, all that happened is the graphics card crashed.

2. Activation call center tells me I have windows installed on 2 pc's when I dont.

3. Having paid for a genuine version of windows I now find I cant use the damn thing and that in 2 days my pc is going to stop working.

And to add insult to injury I was told that I had to buy a validation pack to make my windows legal. WTF? I have to pay an additional £95 pounds to make my original, legit version legal?

And people wonder why there is so much software piracy.
    Thursday, April 19, 2007 9:13 AM
  • Thantoes,

The only way we can begin to help you is for you to provide the information requested:

What upgrades did you to to your computer?

Also, please follow these steps:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Microsoft directly supports retail licenses of its software; it does NOT support OEM versions.  The OEM (manufacturer) gets OEM licenses from Microsoft at a significant discount in exchange for assuming the responsibility of supporting the End User.  Windows XP Media Center Edition has never been sold by Microsoft in a retail license form; it was ONLY sold as systembuilder/OEM or royalty OEM.

Thursday, April 19, 2007 2:54 PM