US Customer Living Outside the US - Renewal Problems RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm a WIndows Live OneCare user who is living outside the US in China. I'm attempting to renew my subscription and I am unable to do so. I'm thinking it is because of my location. Does anyone have a suggestion for me in this case? I was unable to contact Windows Support by phone or live chat and all of my emails have gone unanswered. Please advise.
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 3:44 PM

Answers

• Jim's suggestion is valid, but you should be able to renew with your credit card. The fact that you are able to enter the US credit card information (and address, I assume) would lead me to suspect that you are entering punctuation of other non-alpha/numeric characters in the form. The form doesn't like dashes, apostrophes, commas, periods, etc, and doesn't return any reasonable error to tell you this. If this is not the case, I recommend that you contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Thursday, August 7, 2008 2:01 PM

All replies

• How are you trying to renew and what are you encountering when doing so, Mike? You should be able to renew as long as your IE language setting is US-English and you are on a PC whose OS is using a supported language.

Are you trying to renew by providing a product key or by providing credit card information? If it is the latter, the credit card would need to be based in the US in order to renew a US subscription.

-steve

Thursday, July 31, 2008 4:23 PM
  •  

Stephen,

My PC is using US-English and supported OS. It is my computer from the States. It is enabled to read and write Chinese, but that is it. Also, my card is from the US as well. Still, I keep getting an error message that my information is incorrect when entered in. I'm on my bank's site looking at the info and it is identical. Any ideas? thank you for your help.

Saturday, August 2, 2008 10:47 AM
  • Mike, the simple solution might be to purchase a retail CD and use the product key to renew your subscription.

Saturday, August 2, 2008 1:46 PM
  • Jim's suggestion is valid, but you should be able to renew with your credit card. The fact that you are able to enter the US credit card information (and address, I assume) would lead me to suspect that you are entering punctuation of other non-alpha/numeric characters in the form. The form doesn't like dashes, apostrophes, commas, periods, etc, and doesn't return any reasonable error to tell you this. If this is not the case, I recommend that you contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Thursday, August 7, 2008 2:01 PM
  • I'm also having this problem.

I'm in Canada. I have a Canadian credit card. When I got to the site to renew my account, it would not let me enter a Canadian postal code. Is there a way around that? Should I just make up a zip code? Would that mess things up?

At this point, I'm getting very frustrated with the runaround I'm getting with the help menus. I'm seriously considering getting rid of this software altogether and getting something else to replace it.
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 10:42 PM
  • Open Internet Explorer>Tools>Internet Options>General>Languages>Add, and add English ( Canada ). You should then be able to enter your information correctly.
    Jim
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 11:14 PM
  • JimR1 said:

Open Internet Explorer>Tools>Internet Options>General>Languages>Add, and add English ( Canada ). You should then be able to enter your information correctly.

Jim

No dice. I just tried it and got the same thing. I was originally trying to do it using firefox, but I got the exact same result with IE.

I get to the page where I'm supposed to enter my billing info. The top part is the credit card info, which I can fill in. The lower part is my address. I don't know if this info really matters....

The state/region box only has US states, and the zip code box does not accept letters. So again, I don't know if my mailing address really matters. I figure i could just put in some random zip code to bypass this page
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 11:26 PM
  • Move English (Canada) to the top of the list, delete your cookies and temporary internet files and try again.
    Jim
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 11:31 PM
  • JimR1 said:

Move English (Canada) to the top of the list, delete your cookies and temporary internet files and try again.

Jim

English (canada) is the only one in the list. I can only assume that would give it highest priority. Deleted cookies, temporary files, history, and everything else. Same results.

This is ridiculous. Am I the first person in Canada who has tried to do this?
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 11:38 PM
  • This should have resolved the issue but did not. Send an e-mail with One Care in the subject line to jrap107@msn.com and I will help you contact support.
    Jim
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 11:55 PM
  • JimR1 said:

This should have resolved the issue but did not. Send an e-mail with One Care in the subject line to jrap107@msn.com and I will help you contact support.

Jim

I don't get the process..... You're gonna help me contact support? I thought you were support. What do you need me to write in this email?

Why is it so complicated to get in contact with anyone here?
    Sunday, March 15, 2009 12:03 AM
  • We are just  One Care users who volunteer to help in the forums. Sometimes we can help here but othertimes One Care Technical Support  is required to solve some of the more complex issues.
    Jim
    Sunday, March 15, 2009 1:00 AM
  • This forum is peer to peer, not Microsoft official support.
    Andrew M
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 9:03 PM
  • So I did get in touch with the tech support people. According to them, the cd copy that I got with my computer was a US version. This is why it would only allow for US info.

They basically got me to buy a new subscription online while I was on the phone with them and then they transferred the info over to my existing subscription or something along those lines.

The people on the phone were actually quite helpful....once I finally got the phone number.
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 9:09 PM