CRM Web Services vs Stored Procedures RRS feed

• Question

• What are the benefits of using CRM data web seervices over the fetch stored procedures way of retrieving data? To state in another way, which is more apropriate to use CRM web services or custom database stored procedures for retrieving entity data from the CRM database?

Thanks for help in advance......

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 10:04 AM

Answers

• I consider most performance comparisons to only be relevant when consdiering a specific scenario - there is often little benefit discussing performance in general terms.

That said, direct database access will typically be slightly faster overall, because you bypass the CRM platform processing, but I doubt the difference is significant. The only scenario I've met where direct SQL access can offer a significant performance benefit is when querying activities, and more specifically activity parties, when you can sometimes simplify the SQL query that the CRM platform generates

Thursday, June 19, 2008 8:20 AM

All replies

•  

Webservices are supported way to work with ms crm, its realiable, secure, scalable and supported. Stored procedures are unsupported and not recommended to use for development of ms crm.

REgards,

Imran

http://microsoftcrm3.blogspot.com

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 5:15 PM
  • I fully agree on the points you have put, but I am looking for an answer in terms of their performance comparisons. if you can throw some light on that aspect that would be great.

Thanks,

Abhishek

Thursday, June 19, 2008 7:50 AM
  • I consider most performance comparisons to only be relevant when consdiering a specific scenario - there is often little benefit discussing performance in general terms.

That said, direct database access will typically be slightly faster overall, because you bypass the CRM platform processing, but I doubt the difference is significant. The only scenario I've met where direct SQL access can offer a significant performance benefit is when querying activities, and more specifically activity parties, when you can sometimes simplify the SQL query that the CRM platform generates

Thursday, June 19, 2008 8:20 AM