2nd Hand PC Not Validating RRS feed

• Question

• I received a used Dell desktop system from my mother 2 years ago, bought from an elderly American woman who left the area where I live (Zihuatanejo, Mexico) after her husband died, and whose son, a pseudo-tech, apparently changed the installed OS from Spanish to English. I have what I believe to be the original install CD for a new Dell for the Spanish Windows XP OS (no CD Key on it or the PC), and I would be happy to run the original install CD that would change the OS from English back to Spanish, but the last time I tried changing an OS language on a PC I had to get a new hard drive.

I have no way to verify the original CD Key. I have no idea how to reach the person from whom the PC was bought by my mother over 2 years ago. I do not believe the people the PC was bought from would use pirated Windows software.

What should I do? Can you offer any suggestions short of purchasing the software all over again? I don't care what language my OS is in as long as I can continue to get updates and use Windows XP without being accused of being a software pirate.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Rob in Zihuatanejo

Diagnostic Report (1.5.0540.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Genuine Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-FR82J-3VY4C-7KK8Y
    Windows Product Key Hash: V8ZrWu8aIO2Yeeddw4lg3jYGd80=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-2001765-23056
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    Download Center code: JLT5348
    ID: 5f9b7005-07a3-498b-91ee-b061b5e87cc8
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.540.0
    Signature Type: Microsoft
    Validation Diagnostic:

System Scan Data-->
    Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 3
    Cache refresh Interval: 2975 seconds
    Extended notification delay(non-genuine): N/A
    Extended notification delay(un-activated): N/A
    All disabled: N/A
    Reminder reduced: N/A
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.5.540.0
    Signatue Type: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 114
    Office Diagnostics:

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Prompt
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>5f9b7005-07a3-498b-91ee-b061b5e87cc8</UGUID><Version>1.5.0540.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-7KK8Y</PKey><PID>55274-640-2001765-23056</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1801674531-515967899-839522115</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Model>OptiPlex GX260               </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Version>A02</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20020725000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>A0D4394F01842042</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Mexico Standard Time(GMT-06:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90280C0A-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office XP Professional con FrontPage</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>39476F84C4B4004</Val><Hash>4iCnywwNW1w4s9ukTIwGMGxyGic=</Hash><Pid>54869-640-0000025-17887</Pid></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Saturday, August 19, 2006 1:34 AM

Answers

• A genuine Dell Reinstallation CD does not require one to enter a Product Key when installing on a Dell computer.  All you need to do is to perform a "clean install" as outlined here:

Clean Install Windows XP
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Saturday, August 19, 2006 4:11 PM
  • ZihuaRob,

Navigate to the page below at Dell.com:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/entry?c=us&clearsystem=true&l=en&s=gen

Enter the Service Tag # of the Dell computer, and hit Go.

On the next page, look toward the top for a link to take you to a Reinstallation Guide for your model of Dell.

Saturday, August 19, 2006 9:15 PM
  • ZihuaRob,

You basically have two choices:

1.  The little or no-cost option is to take advantage of the fact that the Dell OptiPlex GX280 probably was originally shipped from Dell with a licensed installation of Windows.  If you can look up the system by its Service Tag number, you can find out what Windows shipped on the computer.  Normally you'd know this by looking at what's on the Certificate of Authenticity, but I think you posted that there is none on the computer.  If you can acquire a Dell OS reinstallation CD ($20-25 from Dell), you can simply use the CD to install  the already-licensed OS back onto the computer.

The bad news for this option is that if XP Home is the licensed OS that shipped, then you have to do a clean installation---there's no "quickie conversion" from Pro back to Home.

If the shipped OS was XP Pro, that would normally be a good thing and you would be able to use the Key Updater IF there were a COA with an XP Pro Product Key on the computer.  But since there is no COA, even if the shipped OS were XP Pro, that would give us little aid and comfort.  A repair reinstallation might work but a clean installation would definitely work.

2.  The high cost but very convenient option is to take advantage of the Windows Genuine Offer and order a WGA Kit.  You will get an XP Pro Product Key in email and combine that with the Key Updater Utility, in less than an hour (and most of the hour is a file scan by the Utility) if all goes well your bogus installation of XP Pro will be "genuine-ized" to a good installation without any need to reinstall.

There is the matter of the installed Office being nongenuine, Office status: 114 meaning nongenuine.

Sunday, August 20, 2006 2:44 AM
  • MOST EXCELLENT! I have the retail version. The only IF is if I installed it already on my old, now rather dead desktop before my mother gave me this problem machine. I'm hoping not but the old memory isn't kicking in on this since I thought I had already installed it on my machine with the problematic Windows install only to discover I hadn't. Hope I wasn't confusing it with the other one. Hmmm. Sounds like may still have one good install left. 

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me, Dan. Your assistance has been invaluable and I certainly appreciate you taking the time and trouble to help a stranger.

If you're ever in Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa, Mexico I'd be honored to treat you to a most refreshing libation of your choice.

Un cordial saludo.

Rob
    www.zihuatanejo.net

Monday, August 21, 2006 7:27 PM

All replies

• A genuine Dell Reinstallation CD does not require one to enter a Product Key when installing on a Dell computer.  All you need to do is to perform a "clean install" as outlined here:

Clean Install Windows XP
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Saturday, August 19, 2006 4:11 PM
  • ZihuaRob,

Navigate to the page below at Dell.com:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/entry?c=us&clearsystem=true&l=en&s=gen

Enter the Service Tag # of the Dell computer, and hit Go.

On the next page, look toward the top for a link to take you to a Reinstallation Guide for your model of Dell.

Saturday, August 19, 2006 9:15 PM
  • Thank you both for the very helpful links. I guess I was forgetting what a b*tch it is to format and reinstall. There are a lot of files and programs for me to have to save and reinstall and I don't relish losing the 2 or 3 days (or more) that it would take me to do that.

So now I'm wondering if there's anyway to avoid a complete reinstallation. There is no Restore Point from before I received the computer. And it looks like the original XP was the Home version, yet XP Pro is the current version. Not sure what issues that might cause.

Also, I have installed Office 2003 and it can only be installed twice (I believe) before it is no longer able to be installed and validated. Since I already installed it on both my desktop and my laptop, I would probably be forced to purchase another installation license. That, on top of having to format and reinstall all my programs, is really looking like the least desirable course. Like either way I'm major screwed and paying for software that has already been paid for. So I'm really hoping there's another option available besides buying a Mac or installing Linux. ;~)

Saturday, August 19, 2006 11:42 PM
  • ZihuaRob,

You basically have two choices:

1.  The little or no-cost option is to take advantage of the fact that the Dell OptiPlex GX280 probably was originally shipped from Dell with a licensed installation of Windows.  If you can look up the system by its Service Tag number, you can find out what Windows shipped on the computer.  Normally you'd know this by looking at what's on the Certificate of Authenticity, but I think you posted that there is none on the computer.  If you can acquire a Dell OS reinstallation CD ($20-25 from Dell), you can simply use the CD to install  the already-licensed OS back onto the computer.

The bad news for this option is that if XP Home is the licensed OS that shipped, then you have to do a clean installation---there's no "quickie conversion" from Pro back to Home.

If the shipped OS was XP Pro, that would normally be a good thing and you would be able to use the Key Updater IF there were a COA with an XP Pro Product Key on the computer.  But since there is no COA, even if the shipped OS were XP Pro, that would give us little aid and comfort.  A repair reinstallation might work but a clean installation would definitely work.

2.  The high cost but very convenient option is to take advantage of the Windows Genuine Offer and order a WGA Kit.  You will get an XP Pro Product Key in email and combine that with the Key Updater Utility, in less than an hour (and most of the hour is a file scan by the Utility) if all goes well your bogus installation of XP Pro will be "genuine-ized" to a good installation without any need to reinstall.

There is the matter of the installed Office being nongenuine, Office status: 114 meaning nongenuine.

Sunday, August 20, 2006 2:44 AM
  • Hola Dan,

Thank you very much for your excellent reply! The Dell Windows XP CD that came with the computer says "Home Edition", and I just verified that it came with the original install via the Dell site using the service tag number.

I thought I had installed my own Office Professional 2003 on this machine, but now I see it is a Spanish version, and the one I have on my laptop (the computer I use most) is English, so it must also have been installed by the "pseudo-tech" son of the former owner since it isn't mentioned in the original software bundle. So I may be able to install my own Office from my CD, though I don't recall what the limit is on how many computers it can be installed. Hopefully one more. Thank you for pointing that out to me.

I'd sure like to be able to track down the son of the former owner. I'm sure his mother had no idea what he did to her computer. Believe it or not he is an evangelical minister of some sort.

Anyway, now I feel like I'm at least getting somewhere. It looks like I'm going to have to purchase the XP Pro via the Windows Genuine Offer since I've already wasted a couple of days on this and my work isn't getting done by itself. ;~)

Again, thanks a million Dan for helping me to understand my options.

Warm saludos from Zihuatanejo!

Rob
    www.zihuatanejo.net

Sunday, August 20, 2006 5:12 AM
  • ZihuaRob,

FYI, retail licenses for Office allow the program to be installed by the license holder on his/her desktop and also a portable computer (aka laptop) for his/her exclusive use.

OEM and Volume licenses for Office only allow one installation per license.

Good Luck!

Sunday, August 20, 2006 8:00 PM
  • MOST EXCELLENT! I have the retail version. The only IF is if I installed it already on my old, now rather dead desktop before my mother gave me this problem machine. I'm hoping not but the old memory isn't kicking in on this since I thought I had already installed it on my machine with the problematic Windows install only to discover I hadn't. Hope I wasn't confusing it with the other one. Hmmm. Sounds like may still have one good install left. 

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me, Dan. Your assistance has been invaluable and I certainly appreciate you taking the time and trouble to help a stranger.

If you're ever in Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa, Mexico I'd be honored to treat you to a most refreshing libation of your choice.

Un cordial saludo.

Rob
    www.zihuatanejo.net

Monday, August 21, 2006 7:27 PM