Transfer of XP License to another person RRS feed

• Question

• I was given a IBM computer with XP Home Edition (Upgrade) (I have disk & Product Key)

I'm not sure if the original license was OEM or not - How do I confirm ?

I purchased Windows 7 Home Premium but want to change the XP license to my name first.

Since  I have to do a clean install for Windows 7 installation, does it really matter what name the XP license was registered to ?

Appreciate your help :)

Thanks

Maurice

Saturday, March 20, 2010 9:19 PM

Answers

• I was given a IBM computer with XP Home Edition (Upgrade) (I have disk & Product Key)

I'm not sure if the original license was OEM or not - How do I confirm ?

I purchased Windows 7 Home Premium but want to change the XP license to my name first.

Since  I have to do a clean install for Windows 7 installation, does it really matter what name the XP license was registered to ?

Appreciate your help :)

Thanks

Maurice

Hello Maurice,

Computers with OEM licenses for Windows will have a Certificate of Authenticity affixed to the computer that describes the version and edition that the computer was originally licensed to run.  If there is no CoA, the computer does NOT have a license to run an OEM or Volume License for Windows.

An XP Home Edition upgrade would have been able to upgrade previous installations of the consumer editions of Windows, such as 98, 98SE, and Millennium.  According to its End User Licensing Agreement, you were not allowed to use an XP Home Upgrade license to upgrade the previous business editions of Windows, such as NT 3.51, NT4.0 or Windows 2000 Professional.

"Registering" Windows upon installation has absolutely positively nothing to do with the licensing of Windows on your computer.  The activation database and the product registration database is separate, and the registration database exists only to serve as a basis for customer service and marketing.  So to answer your question, as I understand the situation, it really does not matter if you register your current installation of XP Home before you upgrade to Windows 7.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Monday, March 22, 2010 3:33 PM