WHS 2011 has two Wow6432Node folders?! RRS feed

• Question

• I recently purchased and installed WHS 2011 in a new server build and then installed Flexraid to use along with it.  There was a minor issue with having the recycle bin deactivated for the Flexraid pooled drive which required me to make sure I had this entry in my registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\BitBucket

Upon checking the registry, I found out I had two Wow6432Node folders!  So my registry looks like this:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\BitBucket

Upon reporting this within the Flexraid forums, it was indicated this was a potentially serious problem and that it may be corrupted.  I would jsut go ahead an re-install everything from scratch, but I don't know what I could do differently as all I did was install WHS 2011, updates, chipset drivers, and then Flexraid.

Doing a Google search didn't produce any solutions that I am aware of (or could understand), and most responses referred to this happening in Vista.

Will you please offer assistance of how I should fix this problem and/or why I would have two of these folders in my registry?

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 5:27 PM

Answers

• Well no, that's not normal. Go ahead and reinstall.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Tuesday, May 29, 2012 8:41 AM
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 11:38 PM

All replies

• Well no, that's not normal. Go ahead and reinstall.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Tuesday, May 29, 2012 8:41 AM
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 11:38 PM
  • I can confirm that Flexraid is creating the second Wow6432Node within my registry.  I went ahead and re-installed everything: WHS and Flexraid.  I kept checking my registry after anything was installed (Windows updates, drivers, Flexraid, etc.)  At the point you start your pool Flexraid creates the additional Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\BitBucket\V string within the original Wow6432Node folder.

I had to manually create the BitBucket within the correct "original" Wow6432Node folder using a "cmd, reg add" line as indicated in one of their guides.  I then deleted the second Wow6432Node folder string within the registry.

Interesting that it was known within the Flexraid help that the needed BitBucket may not be placed in the correct folder string, but not that there was a second Wow6432Node folder string created.  

Thank you for your help and everything appears to be working correctly now.

Thursday, May 24, 2012 4:48 PM