Primary Storage volume missing - WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I made the unfortunate mistake of trying to install Mcafee Virusscan Enterise 8.7i on my Windows Home server. Did not realize that WHS might need a specialized virus scanner that doesnt break it. (I guess this is what caused everything to mess up coz everything start just after the re-boot)

Was asked to reboot and restarted with the error that the Backup services is not working. Opened the consol and saw a long list of errors (1 for each of my Shares saying they are not available).

And 1 message for my primary drive - ST31000340AS has failed. ensure it is connected. Blah blah blah... Checked under the server storage tab and it shows the drive as missing. I uninstalled the virus scanner, updated the whole machine to put in missing patches. still no use.

My setup is quite straight forward( so I think) - Just a single 1 TB HDD. with 2 partition - 20GB system rest is data (Primary volume).  Have never mounted any other drive. I assume something went wrong due to the virus scanner. But can figure it out. Looked at the Registry it does have Shares/Volume etc pointing to C: & D: drive but then again i am no expert.

Help would be really appreciated..

Thanks in advance.
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 3:56 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    the virus scanner may have changed something on the disk descriptor, so that WHS does not detect it properly any more. Or it was simply coincidence with some other bad event.
    You can try to boot from the WHS DVD and attempt a Server reinstall. This is a special installation mode (vs. new installation, which formats all volumes), which preserves the data and only wipes drive C: (including user accounts, installed updates and Add-Ins). If you do that, it is recommended to not allow pulling updates during the installation, since this may take a long intransparent time.
    Alternatively you can get another disk (or recover the data from that disk to a client) and follow the FAQ How to recover data after server failure after a fresh installation with only that new disk attached.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 7:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    the virus scanner may have changed something on the disk descriptor, so that WHS does not detect it properly any more. Or it was simply coincidence with some other bad event.
    You can try to boot from the WHS DVD and attempt a Server reinstall. This is a special installation mode (vs. new installation, which formats all volumes), which preserves the data and only wipes drive C: (including user accounts, installed updates and Add-Ins). If you do that, it is recommended to not allow pulling updates during the installation, since this may take a long intransparent time.
    Alternatively you can get another disk (or recover the data from that disk to a client) and follow the FAQ How to recover data after server failure after a fresh installation with only that new disk attached.
    Olaf
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 7:53 PM
  • I am using VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i myself with no issues. I'm wondering if the virus scan just picked up on file conflicts that were already there.
    Monday, May 11, 2009 11:01 PM
  • Would there be someway for me to manually fix it with the current setup without reinstalling WHS. I would be a pain to have to go through the process of setting up the whole server.

I guess the server is still usable just that the storage pool no longer works - i guess thanks to some description change.. Shouldn't there be a registry edit way to fix this.

Thanks for your response above.
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 1:30 PM
  • Nothing, what I or anybody else I know ever have figured out and published. If that would be the case, I am sure we would see tools to reintegrate harddisks, which went missing and similar stuff.
    Olaf
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 7:21 PM