Zip files RRS feed

• Question

• I have been backing up my PC to Freecom external hard drive. I am planning to reset the pc. The files all seem to be zip files. Does this mean that I have to buy more software eg WinAce in order to unzip them when I restore. Why shouldn't I just drag and drop copies of my files into the extenal hard drive in the normal way?
    Monday, January 5, 2009 5:17 PM

Answers

• If you have been using OneCare to backup your files, you need to install OneCare to restore the files.

Restore files from a backup

If your computer goes through a hardware failure or if some of your files are deleted from your computer and you've backed up your files, you can restore the files to your computer from a previous backup. If you're using a hub PC, you can restore backup files from any computer in your OneCare circle. You can choose which files to restore and which backup to restore the files from.

To restore all files from a backup:

1. Open Windows Live OneCare.
    2. In the main OneCare window, in the Backup and Restore area, click Restore files.
    3. Click Restore files from a local backup.
    4. Click Express Restore.
    5. Click Restore files.
    6. Click Finish.

To select specific files to restore or to select a specific backup to restore from:

1. Open OneCare.
    2. In the main OneCare window, in the Backup and Restore area, click Restore files.
    4. Click Custom Restore.
    5. To restore files from the most recent backup of your computer, click Restore files from the current backup on this computer.

–or–

Restore files that were backed up from another computer.

1. Click Restore files from backup of another machine.
      2. Click the backup that you want to restore files from.

–or–

Restore files from an earlier backup.

1. Click Restore files from an earlier backup or a backup from another computer.
      2. Click the location of the backup device, and then click Next.
      3. Click the backup that you want to restore files from.
    1. To restore all files that are no longer on your computer, click Restore all missing files.

–or–

Restore specific types of files.

1. Click Restore files by file type.
      2. Next to the types of files that you want to restore, select the check boxes, and then click Next.
      3. Next to the files that you want to restore, select the check boxes, and then click Next.
      4. Decide whether you want to restore files that have the same name as files that are already stored on your computer, click the appropriate option, and then click Next.

–or–

Select the files that you want to restore.

1. Click Search for files to restore.
      2. In the search box, type all or part of the name of the file that you want to restore, and then click Next.
      3. Next to the files that you want to restore, select the check boxes, and then click Next.
      4. Decide whether you want to restore files that have the same name as files that are already stored on your computer, click the appropriate option, and then click Next.
    1. Click Restore files.
    2. Click Finish.

Note

If OneCare detects that there are no appropriate files to restore, you won't receive the Restore files option.

Alternatively, you can manually extract the files from the zip files, but that could be a painful process. Any large files that were split by the backup process will need to be rejoined and you will need to move all files to the proper locations after extracting them from the zip files.
    A free utility for rejoining the split files can be found here:
    http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/

The zip files can be opened by many 3rd party compression programs, including Winzip, which has a free trial version available - www.winzip.com

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Monday, January 5, 2009 6:10 PM

All replies

• If you have been using OneCare to backup your files, you need to install OneCare to restore the files.

Restore files from a backup

If your computer goes through a hardware failure or if some of your files are deleted from your computer and you've backed up your files, you can restore the files to your computer from a previous backup. If you're using a hub PC, you can restore backup files from any computer in your OneCare circle. You can choose which files to restore and which backup to restore the files from.

To restore all files from a backup:

1. Open Windows Live OneCare.
    4. Click Express Restore.
    5. Click Restore files.
    6. Click Finish.

To select specific files to restore or to select a specific backup to restore from:

1. Open OneCare.
    4. Click Custom Restore.
    5. To restore files from the most recent backup of your computer, click Restore files from the current backup on this computer.

–or–

Restore files that were backed up from another computer.

1. Click Restore files from backup of another machine.
      2. Click the backup that you want to restore files from.

–or–

Restore files from an earlier backup.

1. Click Restore files from an earlier backup or a backup from another computer.
      2. Click the location of the backup device, and then click Next.
      3. Click the backup that you want to restore files from.
    1. To restore all files that are no longer on your computer, click Restore all missing files.

–or–

Restore specific types of files.

1. Click Restore files by file type.
      2. Next to the types of files that you want to restore, select the check boxes, and then click Next.

–or–

Select the files that you want to restore.

1. Click Search for files to restore.
      2. In the search box, type all or part of the name of the file that you want to restore, and then click Next.
    1. Click Restore files.
    2. Click Finish.

Note

If OneCare detects that there are no appropriate files to restore, you won't receive the Restore files option.

Alternatively, you can manually extract the files from the zip files, but that could be a painful process. Any large files that were split by the backup process will need to be rejoined and you will need to move all files to the proper locations after extracting them from the zip files.
    A free utility for rejoining the split files can be found here:
    http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/

The zip files can be opened by many 3rd party compression programs, including Winzip, which has a free trial version available - www.winzip.com

-steve

Monday, January 5, 2009 6:10 PM
  • Thank you very much Steve. It makes sense now.
    Monday, January 5, 2009 6:28 PM
  • Stephen,

I have the same question but need a simpler answer. I have Dell notebook with 37.2GB internal hard drive.  I am a Live One Care user (couple of years). I purchased a Western Digital external hard drive in August 2008 (149GB). The main purpose is to backup my notebook once a week.  I anticipated an initial backup with incremental weekly backup of only new files. Now my WD is 2/3 full already.  All the files are WinZip files of approximately 50MB each, doesn't look like it's only backing up new files.  The other application for the external drive is to clear up space on my notebook because now I don't have enough space to defrag.  I don't know how to access individual files (i.e doc files or My Pictures) without running WinZip.  Where can I go for simple help?  I thought I was a fairly experienced user but I've never gotten into the backup routine.  Thanks, SoonerFan
    Monday, January 12, 2009 7:07 PM
  • You are going to want to look at this post: Sticky: FAQ: How to Delete Backups

OneCare is backing up data in increments, meaning new or changed files are added every time you run backup. If you have large files that are changing, these files will be split. Smaller files will be combined into a single zip file.

You don't want to be opening the zip files unless you need to because a restore fails or because you no longer use OneCare and want to access the backups. If your drive is running out of space, you'll need to cleanup the old backups. As the FAQ post notes, there is no cleanup process within OneCare for backups, so cleaning up the old backups is a manual and often painful process.

-steve
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 2:12 PM