Reinstalling Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 on same computer

Question

• Hey there

I had Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 installed on my laptop (running Windows Vista), then ran into some driver failure and other things which are irrelevant here which eventually required a reformat of my hard drive. As restoring my original files which I backed up for the hell of it runs the risk of recreating the problem all over again I thought i'd just start over with a clean system.

I wish to reinstall Microsoft Office, but as my licence for Office only allows me to install it on 3 computers, I thought it was best to ask first,

Does reinstalling Microsoft Office on a computer that previously had Office installed under the same licence count towards the number of computers I can install it on, or can Microsoft tell that that computer already had it installed? (ie if i had 2 left after the first install will this leave me with only 1?)

Thanks heaps, i've been looking online but haven't found an answer.
    Sunday, March 01, 2009 9:27 AM

Answers

• Malchickiwick,

Microsoft Product Activation generates a "hash value" based on certain hardware characterisitics of the system on which the software is installed, then associates that hash with a Product Key and sends it off to the Product Activation servers.  So, as long as that hardware hash value stays reasonably close to the same, the servers will assume that this Product Key is being installed or reinstalled on the same computer.

Since many licenses for Office allow the same Product Key to be installed on more than one computer, the Activation system is tailored to take that into account.

So, if you install/reinstall your copy of Office 2007 H&S several times on one computer, as long as the hardware makeup of the computer does not radically change, this only counts as one computer against your 3-computer limit.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, March 05, 2009 12:41 AM
    Wednesday, March 04, 2009 6:33 AM