File conflicts ad nauseum RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to determine which physical drive a given file is located on?  I do not have duplication turned on for any shared folder.

I have a HP Ex475 w/ four 1 TB drives.  I've been chasing file conflicts for weeks now.  I have run chkdsk /x /r more time than I care to count and it does not show a problem.  I thought the problem might be my system drive so I reinstalled WHS on another drive entirely.  For quite a while, it appeared to have been resolved, but the problem is back again and I'm chasing file conflicts about every other day - sometimes several times a day.  I delete the errant file and reboot and another pops up somewhere else.  Due to data, it is not an easy thing to do to remove drives from the pool for testing.  If I could determine the physical drive location, I might be able to determine narrow this down.
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 2:49 AM

All replies

• Is there a way to determine which physical drive a given file is located on?  I do not have duplication turned on for any shared folder.

I have a HP Ex475 w/ four 1 TB drives.  I've been chasing file conflicts for weeks now.  I have run chkdsk /x /r more time than I care to count and it does not show a problem.

Did you run chkdsk on all of the hard drives in your server (or just the primary drive)?  If you didn't check all of them, please see the FAQ post:  How to check all the drives in your server for errors.

I thought the problem might be my system drive so I reinstalled WHS on another drive entirely.  For quite a while, it appeared to have been resolved, but the problem is back again and I'm chasing file conflicts about every other day - sometimes several times a day.  I delete the errant file and reboot and another pops up somewhere else.  Due to data, it is not an easy thing to do to remove drives from the pool for testing.  If I could determine the physical drive location, I might be able to determine narrow this down.
    You can find out by logging into the server desktop (which is unsupported) and browsing through C:\fs.  There you will see mount points for each secondary drive in your server.  From there, go into a drive and then a hidden folder called DE.  NOTE:  Do NOT add/remove/change any data while you are there as that will definitely cause more problems than you have now.
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 4:00 AM
  • Additional info - I just tried to remove one of the pool drives and received a file conflict error which prevented removal.  Actually, it was several files - all the Twonkymedia db's were reported as conflicts.  I had to uninstall Twonkymedia to resolve that little hitch, but I don't use streaming anyway.  However, this may be the source of my problem as reported by Ken in the file conflicts sticky thread.
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 4:04 AM
  • I have run chkdsk on all drives using the batch file recommended in your link (several times).  I was using the drive management add-in when I got the report on Twonkymedia db's.  It gave me the path under the fs folder to the files reported as file conflicts - which were all the Tonkymedia db's.  All that said, I still don't know how to determine what physical drive a file is stored on.  In this particular case, since I was trying to remove a drive, the reported conflict was easily shown to be on that drive (happened to be drive 3 - bay 4).  But, in reading Ken Warren's statement about Twonkymedia, I'm not sure I have a drive problem, per se.  It may have been Twonkymedia all along.  I'll leave Twonkymedia uninstalled and leave drive 3 removed for a while to see if conflicts go away.  If they do, I'll add the drive back to see if the errors stay gone.  Man!  This takes a lot of time...
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 4:35 AM