Can you install WHS on a small SSD drive RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to install Windows Home Server on a 64GB SSD Drive.  I have noticed that the install partition on my current server is just 20gb and that the rest of the drive is not really used to store more than the directory structure for the shares.  The larger 1TB drives hold all the data.  Since I can't really mirror the boot disk I was thinking a SSD drive would be more reliable and use less power than the 400GB disk I use today.  The prices for anything larger than the 64Gb are more than I want to spend. 

I have seen what i think is a minimum requiremnt for an 80gb drive but I have also found some posts on the internet that lead me to belive you can do it.  Is it possible to install WHS on a 32gb or 64gb SSD drive and would that be a more reliable system than just using standard hard disk.

If not could I Raid 1\Mirror two identical boot disks for the system drive with WHS.  

Saturday, April 18, 2009 8:43 PM

Answers

• Is it possible to install Windows Home Server on a 64GB SSD Drive.  I have noticed that the install partition on my current server is just 20gb and that the rest of the drive is not really used to store more than the directory structure for the shares.  The larger 1TB drives hold all the data.  Since I can't really mirror the boot disk I was thinking a SSD drive would be more reliable and use less power than the 400GB disk I use today.  The prices for anything larger than the 64Gb are more than I want to spend. 

I have seen what i think is a minimum requiremnt for an 80gb drive but I have also found some posts on the internet that lead me to belive you can do it.  Is it possible to install WHS on a 32gb or 64gb SSD drive and would that be a more reliable system than just using standard hard disk.

Actually the minimum is 70 GB.  I have never personally tried to install on a small drive, but I would not expect it to work.  If you really want to try it out anyway, you can download the 120 day eval and see if it works for you.

If not could I Raid 1\Mirror two identical boot disks for the system drive with WHS.  

RAID is not supported on WHS.
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 8:49 PM

All replies

Actually the minimum is 70 GB.  I have never personally tried to install on a small drive, but I would not expect it to work.  If you really want to try it out anyway, you can download the 120 day eval and see if it works for you.

RAID is not supported on WHS.
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 8:49 PM
  • The hard limit for drive size is around 65 GB; Windows Home Server will not use a smaller drive as the system drive. You can try using Virtual PC to create a variety of virtual drives of different sizes and determine the smallest drive Setup will use as a system drive experimentally (which is what I did many months ago).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 1:38 PM
  • I have no personal experience but just what I have researched.  

There seems to be some issues to consider with the SSD's

1)  the need make sure that you align the partitions:

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=336713&postcount=161

I am not sure how this and having the d: Drive with WHS which would start on the SSD drive.

2) SSD performance over time

Eg http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9131579

I would be leary of SSD's for WHS at this time but you know what they say about pioneers is that

They Get Arrows in their backs but....
    They also get all the farms in all the best places...

I would be curious if you go that route on how you end up. 
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 2:09 PM