none
Internet explorer 8 opening pdf documents in adobe 9

Question

• I installed explorer 8 but then found that I could not open links to pdf files from websites.  I could do it by right clicking on the link and then selecting open target. My computer technical guy couldn't get around it and so I have had to uninstall 8 and go back to 7.  Is this problem being addressed - I have just had an 8 download offer on screen!
    • Moved by Lu Zou-MSFT Tuesday, July 14, 2009 9:06 AM (From:Live Meeting General Discussion)
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 6:56 AM

All replies

• not LiveMeeting problem, move to off-topic
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 9:05 AM
  • This has been happening to me for two years with various combinations of IE (6, 7, 8) and Adobe Reader (now up to 9.1.2).  My only advice is to ask your computer guy to install Firefox, Safari or Opera which have none of the problems that IE has when it comes to rendering PDF files within a browser.  It's gotten so bad that I specify Firefox as my default bowswer for any of the banking/financial web sites I use that offer PDF versions of statements, bills, etc.
    If you think development is tough now, try doing it on punched cards :-)
    Friday, July 17, 2009 8:31 PM
  • Found this answer buried deep on a website - and it works!!

Configuring the browser to open PDF files in an Acrobat window
    If you want the browser to open PDF files in a separate Acrobat window, then configure the browser to use Acrobat or Adobe Reader as a helper application. Then, when you select a PDF file in Internet Explorer or AOL, the browser opens the PDF file in an Acrobat window instead of the browser window.

To configure the browser to use Acrobat or Adobe Reader to open PDF files:

1.  Close your web browser.
    2.  Start Acrobat or Adobe Reader.
    3.  Choose Edit > Preferences.
    4.  Select Internet in the list on the left.
    5.  Deselect Display PDF in Browser, and click OK.
    6.  Restart Internet Explorer or AOL.

Note:The next time you select a link to a PDF file, the browser may prompt you to open or save the file. If you choose to open the file, then the browser opens the file in the helper application that you specified. If you choose to save the file, then the browser downloads the file to the hard disk.

For more information about the general preferences in Acrobat or Acrobat Reader, refer to the Acrobat Help.

Hope this solves your problem.

Amanda

Friday, September 04, 2009 10:10 AM
  • I have exactly the same problem, keep being offered Explorer 8 but since I cannot open pdf files from this program I am sticking with Explorer 7 for as long as I can! Also, I am not happy with the format of explorer 8, am missing a lot of options such as Print Preview etc.
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 9:34 AM
  • Thank you very much it worked for me

Prashant.Upadhye

Friday, June 08, 2012 7:00 AM