Mapping physical hard disks to the logical ones in the console RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
      My system disk and primary data partition when down in with the click-of-death. The other 6 or do disks in the server are just fine. I replaced my disk - however, nothing I did to my home built system would enable the "reinstall", so I've had to do a fresh install with all the other disks disconnected. I'm now slowly copying data from the disconnected disks back into the server's share folders. As I clean off one disk I add it to the pool and move onto the next disk.

This has worked great for the first three disks, which are all of unique sizes. But I'm about to have a problem with my last three disks. They are of identical size and model, unfortunately, and I can't tell them apart in the console. Once I get one of them cleaned off, I want to make sure I add that one into the pool and not one of the other ones (which will still be full of data). How can I do this?

The brute force method is, obviously, availible - I can shut off the server unplug, and see which is which. These disks, btw, are SATA connected to a Promise TX4 that is attached to the PCI bus. I'm just hoping that I don't need to do this as I can speed things up quite a bit since I'm doing a lot of traveling. :-)

Cheers,
        Gordon.
    Gordon
    Monday, February 8, 2010 7:03 PM

Answers

• ooo! Wait, I may have answered my own question. The "Disk Management" plugin from Tentacle software (http://www.tentaclesoftware.com/WHSDiskManagement/) seems to show much more detail about each disk and also gives you the option to "add" disks not in the pool - so you can tell exactly which disk is which. Very nice. I've seen no complaints about it an PP3... fingers crossed that this works. Curious if there are other ways as well, btw.
    Gordon
    • Marked as answer by GordonTWatts Monday, February 8, 2010 7:46 PM
    Monday, February 8, 2010 7:05 PM

All replies

• ooo! Wait, I may have answered my own question. The "Disk Management" plugin from Tentacle software (http://www.tentaclesoftware.com/WHSDiskManagement/) seems to show much more detail about each disk and also gives you the option to "add" disks not in the pool - so you can tell exactly which disk is which. Very nice. I've seen no complaints about it an PP3... fingers crossed that this works. Curious if there are other ways as well, btw.
    Gordon
    • Marked as answer by GordonTWatts Monday, February 8, 2010 7:46 PM
    Monday, February 8, 2010 7:05 PM
  • You can do manually what Disk Management does automatically, i.e. go digging through the registry, disk IDs, etc. to hook everything together.

Regarding that add-in: use the wireframe. :)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, February 8, 2010 7:18 PM
  • I don't see how you could go digging through the registry in this case, however. The names that appear are identical. I need something to tell me the order. :(

At any rate, the wireframe? I don't see how it can figure out the physical position unless I already know the physical position... which with 7 disks in there... well... no clue! :-)
    Gordon
    Monday, February 8, 2010 7:46 PM
  • The wireframe doesn't "figure out" the physical positions; you tell it where your disks are. Figure out the physical positions (disconnect disks one at a time if need be; it's safe, even though Windows Home Server will complain about the "missing" disk), build the wire frame, then you'll always know what disk to remove
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, February 8, 2010 8:56 PM
  • Hi Ken,
      Yes - that is what I thought I'd have to do. Though, in this particluar instance, it wouldn't actually help me out. It isn't the position that matters more the question of what disk is what. But the plug-in solves that for me in another way, which is very nice!

Cheers, Gordon.
    Gordon
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 5:03 AM