Outlook Address Book RRS feed

• Question

• Where is the Outlook Address Book stored and under what name.   It used to be called <mailbox.pab>.   I want to transfer it from my laptop to my new PC.    It has 100s of addresses in it that would be a disaster to lose!   Also, my new PC is changed in the way it is setup and I don't know how to do find the default file????
    Friday, February 9, 2007 7:01 AM

All replies

• Try http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291618 it may be the answer to your query
    Friday, February 9, 2007 4:00 PM
  • I am familiar with that procedure.   I assumed that since I said that it was a new PC that you would have realized that it is a Windows XP OS, sorry about that!    I need a procedure for XP.
    Friday, February 9, 2007 7:09 PM
  • If you've not already done so there's an expert discussion group dealing with outlook problems/fixes which I have used in the past. They are extremely helpful and you will more than likely get an answer to resolve xp transfer. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.outlook.general&lang=en&cr=US

Friday, February 9, 2007 8:41 PM
  • You can do a few things here.

1) You'll be looking for a .pst file, most likely located at "C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook".

Note: You might need to change your folder view settings to see this. If you do not see the "Local Settings" folder, go to the "Tools" menu in explorer, then to "Folder Options". The second tab is "View". Here you want to change the option "Hidden Files and Folders" to show them. This should allow you to see the folder path above.

Once there, you should see a .pst file (I believe the default is "Outlook.pst" but that might not be the name).

2) Go to "File"->"Export" and export the Address Book to a .pst file.

You want to take the .pst file and copy it to your other computer. Once there (I recommend putting it in the same place on the new machine) you need to import it by going into Outlook, and going to "File"->"Open"-"Outlook Data File" and selecting the pst you copied over.
    Wednesday, February 14, 2007 9:16 PM