Slow restore speed on .zip, .cab, .iso files. RRS feed

• Question

• Why is it when trying to restore files or discs, using the restore CD or by mounting a backup on a machine and using copy and paste, most files go 30-60% network utilization on a gigabit LAN, but certain compressed files, not all, crawl at a flatline of 2%? Not up and down a little but ruler straight. As if they are purposely being speed limited. During this time, the WHS machine shows 1-3% cpu usage so I know it's not that.
    Any ideas?
    Saturday, December 27, 2008 5:14 PM

Answers

• Internal IDE drives. Turns out the cable was bad or not plugged in all the way. I replaced the cable and all is well now. Before, device manager showed the two drives running at UDMA 2. Now, they are at UDMA 6 where they should be.
    Thanks for reply. All is good now.
    • Marked as answer by Klaasman1 Saturday, December 27, 2008 10:45 PM
    Saturday, December 27, 2008 10:42 PM

All replies

• Upon further investigation, it seems that a couple of my hard drives in the WHS machine are running at a slow speed for some reason. It just so happens that these file types that I spoke of are the ones that are on the slow drives. Transfering the same types of files that are stored on faster drives in the WHS machine result in satisfactory transfer rates.
    My bad.
    Saturday, December 27, 2008 6:52 PM
  • First, are the drives internal or external? If they're external, make sure that you don't have more than a single drive connected to each USB controller. If they're internal, it's possible that you have a problem with one or more hard drives in your server. You can use chkdsk to perform a test of each disk; there is a post in the FAQ section that describes how to run chkdsk on all your drives.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, December 27, 2008 8:15 PM
  • Internal IDE drives. Turns out the cable was bad or not plugged in all the way. I replaced the cable and all is well now. Before, device manager showed the two drives running at UDMA 2. Now, they are at UDMA 6 where they should be.
    Thanks for reply. All is good now.
    • Marked as answer by Klaasman1 Saturday, December 27, 2008 10:45 PM
    Saturday, December 27, 2008 10:42 PM