none
HPC Pack Client Utilities on Windows 7, outside Cluster AD - Credentials Error

Question

• I have installed HPC Pack SP2 Client Utilities on Windows 7 which is in my company backbone. Our HPC Cluster is on a different domain. I wish to use my desktop as a development environment. When I try to connect to the Cluster Manager giving the headnode IP, this is the error message I get:

Failed to communicate with remote SDM store. Authentication failed. The server has rejected the client credentials.

I am able to mstsc into my cluster. The cluster otherwise is working fine. I don't see the purpose of client utilities if this doesn't work. Please help.

Tuesday, June 07, 2011 11:48 AM

All replies

• Hi All,

I got this working. For anybody facing the same problem, here's the solution.

You would have to go to the cluster manager, and create a new user with exactly the same credentials as the client user. And add this new user to Administrator and HPCUsers user groups.

When you login from a client machine, the credentials of the client are taken as it is (ie, you cannot provide new credentials or cached credentials). So a user with the same credentials has to exist on the Cluster as well.

lalala.. zoozoozoo.. hohohoho.. aahahaha..
    Friday, June 10, 2011 4:01 AM
  • That really isn't a solution, because you have to keep all of the passwords insync between both domains...  What you should look at is a domain trust between your HPC domain, and your Enterprise domain.
    • Proposed as answer by Rob-HPC Friday, August 05, 2011 6:19 PM
    Friday, August 05, 2011 3:16 PM
  • It doesn't work even if the passwords are the same.

It doesn't work even if the user is using an alternate account in the same domain as the HPC server.

It doesn't work even if I explicitly put the credential for the same domain in the Credential Manager.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Regards.

Monday, August 29, 2011 1:35 AM
  • Try to do next on windows 7 station:

• Run "control userpasswords2" command from cmd
    • Advanced tab, Manage Passwords, enter your domain credentials twice: once with headnode's IP address, once with headnode's machine name.

• Proposed as answer by SergiiKorin Monday, October 03, 2011 2:02 PM
    Monday, October 03, 2011 2:01 PM